OpenVPN on MCEX2

I used to run it on my MBL, and now I miss it badly…

Since WD is not moving their arse and get OpenVPN on the apps section, is anybody willing to share their ideas and insights on how to install and use OpenVPN on the MCEX2 box?

Thank you so much to those who wish to share…

nicopizza,

Please bear in mind that such proceedings are not supported by Western Digital, and may harm your device.

JStaff

thanks for reminding…

too bad WD is now doing harm to me by not allowing me to access my data from outside my LAN…

I cannot really understand why WD offers remote access only passing through their servers instead of offering the tools to do it on our own. With a VPN server it would be a breeze to access my EX2 as if I were on my network!

This is why I asked WD to offer a VPN add-in app, and that’s why - if WD does not speed up in doing so - I’ll keep trying to get a VPN server into my EX2.

nicopizza wrote:

JStaff

thanks for reminding…

too bad WD is now doing harm to me by not allowing me to access my data from outside my LAN…

I cannot really understand why WD offers remote access only passing through their servers instead of offering the tools to do it on our own. With a VPN server it would be a breeze to access my EX2 as if I were on my network!

This is why I asked WD to offer a VPN add-in app, and that’s why - if WD does not speed up in doing so - I’ll keep trying to get a VPN server into my EX2.

I echo your sentiment. As of now, the ONLY way you can connect to EX2 from outside is to go via the WD relay servers. I strongly dislike that. At least WD should fix the broken FTP access which prevents people from accessing from outside using ftp at the moment. I would be keen to see OpenVPN work on this - or at least sftp to work.

BTW, I have examined the internal workings of the EX2 product (by poking around in the shell) and have a decent amount of understanding on how some of the things work. But I am OpenVPN-illiterate and would be happy to collaborate with someone who is OpenVPN-literate :slight_smile: