OpenMediaVault question - after install, getting a solid red light

I hooked my WD harddrive up to a tower PC and installed OpenMediaVault. It was connected via ethernet. After each step along the way, I’ve tried reconnecting the harddrive to the WD network card, but I get a SOLID RED LIGHT, and I can’t connect. So it keeps going back and forth between the WD network card and the tower PC.

I tried apt-get update. Nothing.

I tried commenting out the extra mounts in fstab. Nothing.

I’m not understanding the mixed back-and-forth talk here in the forum.

Does anyone know how to get it to reconnect, when I plug the harddrive back into the WD network card? I don’t even care if the light keeps showing red, just as long as I can connect.

(Summary: When the harddrive is connected to the tower PC, it broadcasts over the wifi, and I can access OpenMediaVault through my laptop’s browser. When I reconnect the harddrive to WD network card, it doesn’t broadcast, and I can’t access it from my laptop’s browser, any more.)

Hi, unfortunately I have not installed open media vault to a My Cloud so I couldn’t help, lets see if one of the more advance users can assist here.

I’m not sure I understand your post.

I hooked my WD harddrive up to a tower PC and installed OpenMediaVault.

That reads to me that you have disassembled your MyCloud and connected its HDD to your PC and installed OMV.

What version of OMV have you installed, and where did you get it from?

It was connected via ethernet.

What was connected via Ethernet?

After each step along the way, I’ve tried reconnecting the harddrive to the WD network card, but I get a SOLID RED LIGHT, and I can’t connect. So it keeps going back and forth between the WD network card and the tower PC.

A red light indicates a disk fault.
Did you format the HDD when you connected it to your PC?

I tried apt-get update. Nothing.

What firmware is your MyCloud running? If v4, then apt-get from standard repositories is a bad idea.

When the harddrive is connected to the tower PC, it broadcasts over the wifi, and I can access OpenMediaVault through my laptop’s browser.

That suggests OMV is running on the PC, using a PC build of OMV, stored on the WD Red HDD taken from the MyCloud.

Maybe my confusion hangs on the phrase “When the harddrive is connected to the tower PC”. I assume it to mean the bare HDD. But maybe you mean it to refer to the MyCloud NAS device.

Yes, I disassembled the MyCloud, and stuck it in the tower PC to make it slightly easier.

It’s the latest version of OMV from their website.

My tower PC was connected via ethernet, when I installed the MyCloud harddrive in it.

Yes.

MyCloud NAS firmware is no longer on the harddrive, since I replaced the whole disk with OMV, after I formatted it.

It’s the latest version of OMV from their website.

What, this one:

Download openmediavault_2.1_amd64.iso (363.9 MB)

from

If so, note the ‘amd64’ bit; it’s built for an AMD64 processor.

Looking at the directory for the latest non-beta release:

I don’t see anything other than images for PC-type processors; either Intel or AMD.

Unless you download and install an image intended to run on the Mindspeed Comcerto processor and surrounding architecture on the MyCloud NAS CPU card, you shouldn’t expect OMV to run standalone when you connect the HDD back to the NAS CPU card.

The fact that OMV runs when the bare HDD is connected to your PC suggests that the image you have loaded is one compiled for a PC target, not the Mindspeed processor. Everything you have reported is consistent with that suggestion. I think you have converted your tower PC into an OMV NAS…

The ‘WD network card’ isn’t a network card; it’s the CPU card of the MyCloud NAS; a computer in its own right. And not an Intel or AMD-based computer…

ps. If you want to install clean Debian and OMV built for the MyCloud CPU platform, take a look at this: