OpenMediaVault on MyCloud? Can I get some partition screenshots?

I’ve had trouble following Fox_exe’s instructions (his AutoInstall, or moving shares to /Public and then imaging from there via SSH), so now I’m trying to do it all manually (hooking it up to a tower PC), by creating partitions, and then dd imaging everything to those partitions.

My hard drive does not have MyCloud OS now (although I can get it back, if I need to). I’m now using SystemRescueCD, and I have GParted and the terminal up.

I am under the impression that OMV on MyCloud uses 8 total partitions, with 2 raid partitions, and the storage formatted in ext4.

Will those who have have OMV installed on their MyCloud take a screenshot of their partition table in GParted, so that I can compare and copy your partition settings?

And if someone else has posted a screenshot of theirs, but yours looks different, would you please still post yours, so that I can take note of any differences?

And finally, if you already know for sure which partition gets “kernel.img” and which partition gets “rootfs.img” written to them, would you please state that here?

You may need to tell people your device capacity, although i guess all but the main partion will be the same size, regardless of MyCloud size.

Very well. In that case, it’s a Red 3TB hard drive. However, I’m interested in seeing how everyone else’s partitions are listed, regardless of what size their hard drive is.

Partition’s size - any. Important only partition numbers - 7 for bootconfig, 5 - for kernel. 1,2 - rootfs (md raid).
But possible to change layout in boot config and make your own layout and sizes. But this way only for people, who known what they do.
For all others - just use default partition layout (Look inside “Unbrick” instructions).

1 Like

Hey Fox.

I know how to “unbrick”.
I do not know how to put OMV on.

But I will try taking the OMV bootconfig, kernel, and rootfs, and write those images to 7, 5, 1 & 2, as you suggested, and see if that does it. Thank you for your reply.

I’ve written those images as you said, but it’s not quite working yet. Here’s a little extra information.

The only partitions that are formatted are:

sda1 = linux-raid
sda2 = linux-raid
sda4 = ext4
The other partitions are unformatted. Should any of them be formatted a certain way?

The only partitions that have “Flags” are:

sda1 = raid
sda2 = raid
I’ve noticed (on other working Linux partitions), that there are often “bios_grub”, “boot”, or “msftdata” flags. Should any of the other partitions have any of these other flags?

Unallocated space:

There is 15.00 MiB of unallocated space before all of the partitions. Is this okay?

Yes, layout correct.
But need restart mdadm (recreate md raid. You have auto-assigned md127, but need md0 (Or md1 - but need change config partition too)

1 Like

“Recreate md raid.”

I’m not quit sure what that means - I assume it’s similar to creating a new partition, but where the raids match - so I will figure out how to recreate the raids using tutorials.

[Edit:]
Okay, so I use

mdadm --stop /dev/md127

and it stops md127 (I refresh GParted, and SDA1 and SDA2 no longer have /dev/md127 under “Mount Point”. It works at first. However, when I try to --assemble, it tells me:

mdadm: /dev/sda1 is busy - skipping
mdadm: /dev/sda2 is busy - skipping

So I refresh GParted, and it turns out that MD127 has remounted. :frowning2:

I can’t -A /dev/md0 to either of the partitions, as long as md127 keep automatically mounting.

I checked /etc/fstab, and md127 isn’t in there. Is it my CD doing that? Whatever it is, how do I kill md127, to replace it with md0?

md127 - Automatically assigned number, when mdadm trying auto-assemble raid.
Disable automount and autoassemble like this:

http://www.spinics.net/lists/raid/msg30937.html
Or run “root console” (Sometime its helps).

1 Like

Alright, so I fixed the md127 problem by just booting up from my normal harddrive and then plugging the WD drive into the 2nd SATA connection. Then did DD rootfs.img again to both sda1 & sda2, and “md” did not show up.

However, even after DD rootfs.img -> sda1 & sda2, and DD kernel.img to sda5, and DD config.img to sda7 …
then put back together the WD drive as it should be …

Now it won’t appear on the network, and since it won’t appear on the network, I can’t access it via 192.168.2.11, or SSH into it, since it won’t appear show, and it’s still got the solid white light.

This is what my partitions look like now (md127 is gone and the key icons are gone… that’s good):

I did:

dd if=/mnt/usb/rootfs.img of=/dev/sdb1
dd if=/mnt/usb/rootfs.img of=/dev/sdb2
dd if=/mnt/usb/kernel.img of=/dev/sdb5
dd if=/mnt/usb/config.img of=/dev/sdb7

I got rid of /md127.
I reformatted /dev/sdb4 to ext4.

Still doesn’t work. :-\

I’m going to keep messing around with it until I hear back. Speaking of which, thank you incredibly for all that you do for the community. Not just myself, but everyone here.

[Edit: I see here - http://ftp.anionix.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen1/Replace%20HDD%20-%20English.txt - that when replacing the original OS, you need to DD config.img to the 8th partition, also. (Point #12) Is config.img on #8 also necessary when installing OpenMediaVault?]

Nope, Part. 6 and 8 not used, but present in original firmware.

Try > another method.

1 Like

@Fox_exe: Omg omg omg, the light has turned to a solid green!

I didn’t use the dd recovery.img script, because I’m not trying to put it back to MyCloudOS.

I used:

mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=1 --metadata=0.9 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda1 /dev/sda2

from your link, plugged it back in, and it’s turned green!

An “android” device has showed up on my DHCP Client list (under 192.168.2.1), and it points to 192.168.2.7, but using that address doesn’t load any screen, and SSH still refuses connection. I’m getting anxious, but I’m afraid to do anything.

Should I still use that:

dd if=boot-md0.env of=/dev/sda7

mentioned in your instructions? Or would that mess it up? Or should I do something else?

[Edit: And… it ended up doing the same thing as before… adding the key icon, and setting the mount point to /dev/md126 …]

Follow instruction. In my “Recovery OS” SSH not present, use Telnet instead.

1 Like

@Fox_exe : I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you.

If I get this job at the machinist union that I’m applying for (which looks extremely likely), I’m clicking on that “Donate” button, on your website, as soon as I can (most likely in a couple months). I put up a Post-It note on my wall, to serve as a reminder.