Opening the hub

As a result of POOR gigabit network performance i want to take the 1TB HDD out and replace it for a 1GB flash drive.

No heat , no spinning parts and get rid of the fan.

Can i lift the top from the hub ?

There are no screws visible so it must be a “click” system.

Right ?

It must be possible…what if the HDD or fan dies ?

No repair possible ?

Please reply.

Sorry , i am a pain in the **bleep** on forums …

Good luck finding a 1GB flash drive that’s SATA-based…

I think that if you have the technical ability to change the internal drive to something it was not designed for then you should have the ability to open the case.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Good luck finding a 1GB flash drive that’s SATA-based…

Or skip the flash drive and just go to an SSD - faster than flash, cheaper per gigabyte if you shop around, better MTBFs, and available in SATA.

Of course, that assumes that the Hub’s firmware will accept drives from manufacturers other than WD, and I have no idea if that’s the case or not.

I assume there is a typo and you mean a 1TB SSD as 1 Gbyte wont get you far. And if that is the case I can hear Tony saying

“Good luck finding a 1TD SSD cheap enough.”

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=1Tb+ssd&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=15858556348856739067&ei=I2D1TIieGIywhQebvPDRBQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCoQ8wIwAA#

Holey ■■■■!

Sata flash module

If you dont know it , it doesnt  exist ?.

My NAS runs on the 40 pin IDE version.

No heat , no moving parts.

Look @ my post. $ 34,- incl. shipping 2GB.

Well good luck in opening the case and fitting this device. Let us know how it goes.

Hey!

Opening the Hub appeals to me, too. I want to swap the internal 1 TB for a larger drive. I am interested in what you find out. Also, has anyone tried to hook more than two external drives via a USB hub? The user manual says it doesn’t work, but I haven’t tried this.

By the way, I’m not that disappointed with the GB network performance. Are you wanting to use the HUB for file transfers daily?

TabCursor wrote:

I want to swap the internal 1 TB for a larger drive

Where did you find a 2.5" drive larger than 1TB?

TabCursor wrote:

Hey!

Opening the Hub appeals to me, too. I want to swap the internal 1 TB for a larger drive. I am interested in what you find out. Also, has anyone tried to hook more than two external drives via a USB hub? The user manual says it doesn’t work, but I haven’t tried this.

By the way, I’m not that disappointed with the GB network performance. Are you wanting to use the HUB for file transfers daily?

If you want to have a look inside then go to this page:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3990/western-digital-wdtv-live-hub-review/7

81supporter wrote:

Sata flash module

This is only 2 GB. I have to ask what is the point?

kosh2 wrote:

81supporter wrote:

Sata flash module

This is only 2 GB. I have to ask what is the point?

If you’re streaming all of your media, it can make sense to use something like this as a local store for anything the player needs to cache - databases, thumbnails, etc.

However, something I’ll mention regarding these DOM devices: they are slow (though I’ll concede that in a Hub you probably wouldn’t notice), not particularly cheap per gigabyte, and their MTBF numbers aren’t very impressive either.  I looked into these a few months ago, and came to the conclusion that you could buy an unused SSD with considerably better performance and more storage capacity for around the same price; for what this specific one is selling for, I got a 16GB Samsung SATA SSD.  Makes a great NAS boot drive and local database store.

TabCursor wrote:

Opening the Hub appeals to me, too. I want to swap the internal 1 TB for a larger drive. 

Isn’t 1TB currently the max capacity for 2.5" HDDs?  Nothing larger has even been announced yet…

I dont want to store any mp3 or movie inside the hub.

I need the DOM module just for the datastorage that the hub needs and the DOM speed is faster than the hub can handle. 15mb/30mb.

Everything goes on my Gigabit NAS that actually has a 1G speed over the network.

NZB download , movies , mp3 is all on the FreeNas.

If you move large amounts of data like me you dont want to fool around with 12mb speeds.

PS. i just found this one.

Compact flash is also fast enough for the hub’s data to make it work.

8,- usd on ebay , look for Hong kong locations.

You’d probably do quite fine with just a few GB…  My hub has only about 15 Mbytes of generated data on it…  But I don’t know what is in the hidden partitions.

I’m also seeking for some kind of instructions how to open HUB - anyone can point me in right direction?

The hub is not designed to be openned by us mere humans. It has a click lid so if you slide a knife into the joint along the side it snaps open. Can be hard the first time.

I have ordered the Sata to CF adapter.

It takes a few weeks before it gets here but i will keep you guys posted.

The adapter fits 2.5 so i expect no problems.

My first NAS server had a CF card as HDD too.

Works like a charm if you use the faster ones.