Only Part Of A 3TB Internal Drive Is Being Recognized

I had to replace 2 1TB internal drives, so I ordered a 3TB WD drive. However, Windows 10, or the ASUS motherboard is only recognizing about 2TB of the drive. It is an MBR drive.

What do I need to do to get the full drive space?

There’s your problem, at least on Windows. Write zeros to the hard drive, and initialize it as GPT as opposed to MBR.

Now, your motherboard should detect the unit as 3TB unless the particular SATA port you are using does not support 3TB units. Try a different SATA port.

I had the same problem when replacing my own hard drive, what you have to do is go into disk manager and look ar the current 3tb hard drive, it will have a black bar along with other blue bars, the black bar is the unallocated space and you don’t want that. Right click on the black bar and make a new volume, after making this new volume, get a 3rd party software that manages disk space, then in this software extend your current partition,(Windows) with the partition you just made.[quote=“PAUL_MASHBURN, post:1, topic:170685, full:true”]
I had to replace 2 1TB internal drives, so I ordered a 3TB WD drive. However, Windows 10, or the ASUS motherboard is only recognizing about 2TB of the drive. It is an MBR drive.

What do I need to do to get the full drive space?
[/quote]

Trancer is correct … the drive must be GPT Partition Style which supports HDD over 2TB

General rule.
Use windows diskpart to clean the drive and then convert to GPT.

Although you have not supplied enough info (such as M/B model, boot from 1st and use 2nd as auxiliary?, R0/R1 and boot from RAID?, chipset RAID or external card RAID?, etc.) for proper recommendations.