One large external drive or 2 smaller ones?

New to WDTV

I have all my movies on one WD 2TB external drive, it is at just over 75% of capacity. I can easily split them in categories between two 1TB drives.

I have seen comments saying that play off a large (2/3/4TB) drive can sometimes be anything from lightly snatchy to annoyingly jerky. I had thought this might happen with very large files, but not with the storage medum as long as the file being played wasn’t itself bad or impeded.

I have also read comments that in the same way rebuilding the library after power-down is a drag of a process with a single larger drive.

Can anyone say that in their experience sporadic jittering and slow-build might be expected, and that moving to 2 smaller drives is recommended? There are 2 usb ports available anyway, so might as well use them if it helps.

Thanks.

Mark

Hello,

In my personal experience I have a 2 TB hand drive and a 3TB hard drive attached to my WDTV and I have never experienced any issues. Lets see if other users can also share some experience with us.

2 Likes

That’s very reassuring Hamlet, thank you …  I hope others might come and say much the same.

1 Like

4TB and 3TB WD Hdd’s here … no problems

2 Likes

Thank you Joey Smyth, looks like there’s nothing to be concerned over. Maybe the reports of occasional stuttering etc that I read were down to file issues or something, and nothing to do with their HDD performance suspicions. 

Are you perhaps able to comment on my other two questions posted right along with this one, firstly about file naming so scraping for artwork etc will recognise it, and secondly about how to  skip/decline the Connect To Internet step as I only want to play from stored media, not interersted in streaming anything?

Hope you wil excuse me asking, you may have looked already and not had anything to suggest, but if not I’m still hoping to get some guidance on these so I thought I would ask just in case.

Thanks regardless anyway.

Mark

clawmark wrote:

Maybe the reports of occasional stuttering etc that I read were down to file issues or something, and nothing to do with their HDD performance suspicions.

“stuttering” is something that can happen with “streaming” … i’ve personally never encounted “stuttering” while playing from usb hdd

clawmark wrote:Are you perhaps able to comment on my other two questions posted right along with this one, firstly about file naming so scraping for artwork etc will recognise it

I just use the movie name … ie. no dots, no underscores, nothing but the the movie name.

example: i watch my movies on the WDTV and Raspberry Pi2 (XMBC / Kodi) … here’s a pic of the filenames and metadata generated from both platforms (click Spoiler)

> clawmark wrote: and secondly about how to skip/decline the Connect To Internet step as I only want to play from stored media, not interersted in streaming anything?

the wdtv will always look for a network connection upon boot-up … to cancel the “look-up” , press the “Setup” button and then the “Home” button.

AFAIK … you can’t “disable” the network look-up

1 Like

Thanks Joey Smyth for clearing up all my queries, you are a total star!! 

Maybe I should let it connect the first time anyway just to check for updates out of the box … I assume there are updates periodically so that makes sense?   

Such a relief about the filemanes too - I have them just plain eaxctly like you, nice to know they’re all set to go! 

A quick follow-up on that: Are the fanart, info, xml and jpgs that are in your folder to with each movie the files that the scrape gathers and places there, and that’s how my folder will be augmented afterward too?  Or are they just related files that you gathered yourself and I’m reading too much in to them being there?

Thanks again for bothering to take care of everything …  major Kudos!

Mark

I have a 6 TB my Book and the WD TV doesn’t recognize it:(

I am major upset about it now I have to buy 2 smaller drives and put my movies and pics on them lots of file transferring:(

also movies look better as iso or MKV then any other file type

ISO and MKV are just Containers … it’s the Codec used inside that matters