On the Fly 4:3 to 16:9 Please

On the Fly 4:3 to 16:9 Please 6 updates and it’s still not here Come On!

What the heck are you talking about?

TonyPh12345 wrote:
What the heck are you talking about?

I broke down and tried to Google it, after puzzling over the other 3 posts that were made before this new thread was started.

It appears as if  “16:9 to 4:3 on the fly” is merely presenting the center portion of a 16:9 format video, fullscreen on a 4:3 display, with the sides cropped off and no stretching of the video.

While that can be approximated with the “zoom” function, I still don’t get why if you only want the center portion, why you don’t just crop it when you make your encode, instead of encoding the full 16:9 picture and then expecting the playback device to do the cropping.  Well, for that matter, I don’t understand why you want the sides cropped to begin with.

So, by deduction, what “4:3 to 16:9 on the fly” would be, would seem to be a 4:3 video presented full width on a 16:9 display, with the top and bottom cut off.  Why you’d want that and why you don’t just crop the file that way when you encode it I also have no idea.

Nor do I know which 6 updates are being referred to, since there’s been more than that. :wink: 

I think he means the following: When you play 4:3 movies or DVD’s, the aspect ratio on a widescreen TV remains at 4:3 with two vertical black bars beside the movie. It would be nice if there was a Pan-scan 4:3 option available in the menu so that it stretches up 4:3 movies to 16:9 (just like regular DVD players do).

Would be a great option, especially for old DVD’s.

first, the WD Live HD is playing movie files containing a correct anamorphic flag correctly stretched to the whole 16:9 screen with correct proportions.

so if there’s a file with an anamorphic picture but without an anamorphic or unrecognized flag, it would be nice to have a quick 16:9 stretch function in the options menu, right?

4:3 proportional material should be zoomed out to the edges of the screen and cropped on top/bottom - good for open matte or letterbox. (dunno, is this done by the zoom function already?)

i would be happy too to have this function.

I prefer to watch content as it was made, 4:3 or 16:9, no stretching, no cropping. There is a button on my TV remote (zoom, stretch, crop) that lets me quickly change the display to my preference.

I am also Canadian, but I don’t know what that has to do with this thread.