O'Lordy Help me! - NETWORK. WIRED. Mac 10.4.11

I am attempting to network my WD TV LIVE HUB MEDIA CENTER to my MAC running OS 10.4.11

The Hub sees my computer but does not sync content or access anything.  “Unable to connect to the selected source. Please make sure the selected source is active and available for sharing”. 

Is it the Hub or the Mac?  Where do I need to place the media?  Is it a sharing issue with the OS or something with the WD? 

Please oh pleasey helpy!

-B

*BUMP*

Still cannot get my Hub and my computer to sync or share or whatever.  HELP!  It connects to the internet via the hard wire for updates and such.  But I cannot get my computer and the Hub to talk so I can sync… or port over material via the network cable.  HELP!!

I think I read in a previous thread that there’s an incompatibility between SAMBA in older versions of OSX and the relatively new SAMBA included in recent Live / Hub updates.

This can also affect NAS devices running Linux / old SAMBA versions.  Tony helped out some people with NAS connectivity issues by helping them update the SAMBA version on the NAS.

There’s a SAMBA download available on the Apple site you could try:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/unix_open_source/samba.html

However, it’s not something I have tried myself.  I’m running OS X 10.6.5 and have no SAMBA issues.

-UPDATE-

Just out of curiosity, can you reply with your SAMBA version?

Open Terminal and type:

smbclient -V

Mine is 3.0.28a-apple, which is pretty old but seems to work fine…

It looks like Version 3.0.10 …

Would upgrading help?  3.4.4 is out now.  I’m just not understanding the problem… or how to resolve it.  I’ve heard there’s an incapatibility between the Hub and my OS.  But also read there’s a work around or a solution… 

Updating might fix it.

Samba 3.0.10 is over 6 years old now.

Samba 3.0.28a is less than 2 years old.

Samba 3.4.4 is barely a year old.  If you feel confident updating it, that’s the one I would try.

For reference, I believe the Hub is using Samba 3.5.x, which is pretty recent.

Yep; they all appear to be using 3.5.1 now.

Is there any downside to trying to upgrade my Samba?  Any issues it might/will cause with my OS?  Anything tricky about doing this?

-B

broton wrote:

Is there any downside to trying to upgrade my Samba?  Any issues it might/will cause with my OS?  Anything tricky about doing this?

-B

I suppose the downside to a botched installation would be that Samba stops working, which would not be good.

The 3.4.4 package on the Apple site is not, as I’d hoped, a DMG that installs / updates Samba for you.  It’s an archive containing many files and folders that will require some commandline dexterity to correctly configure… I have no idea where to begin!

Yes.  I fear this for reasons stated.

Someone mentioned using SharePoints elsewhere…  I’ve installed it.  Set a point.  But no luck.  Is there anything I need to do on the WD side of things? 

-R