Old computer won't recognized ESSENTIALS

I am hoping someone can help me.  I have an old computer that is running Windows Millennium.  I am interested in copying my old files and pictures off of this computer on to my MY BOOK ESSENTIAL external harddrive so I can permanently dispose of the dinosaur computer.  The problem is that I can’t get the computer to recognize the external hard drive when I plug it into the USB port.  The computer knows there is new hardware, but it goes to the Windows library of drivers and, of course, is not able to find driver for the newer drive (at least that is what I am assuming is happening).  I don’t need all the fancy backup software.  I just need it to recognize the hard drive.  I was going to manual copy the few files I want to save on the external hard drive anyway.   Any ideas on how I can get it recognized.

I did try downloading the driver from the WD website, but the computer it just locks up every time.

I’m not really sure but I think the drive would need to be formatted FAT32 for one thing. Another there may not be a driver for that version of Windows it didn’t last long. Can you network and transfer the data off that way? Or possibly connect and use Windows transfer from newer PC?

Joe

1 Like

WD Drives won’t help you on this issue. Buy a cheap 2 ½” or 3 ½” USB external enclosure to suit your Win Millennium drive. Remove the drive from your dinosaur and install it in the external enclosure. Now access your stuff from your new PC using USB connection.

Method 2

If you have a desktop (new) you could plug in the 3 ½” drive as a slave drive. If it is 2 ½” drive you could buy a cheap adaptor to interface 3 ½” cable. After all you shouldn’t have more than 2GB of data to move across. :smiley:

1 Like