OK to turn drives off at shutdown (power strip)?

Hi –

I just purchased one of those power-saving power strips that lets you control power to several outlets based on a single master outlet. For example, I can turn my printer on/off automatically whenever my PC turns on or off. 

I have 2 external WD MyBook drives connected to my computer, and was wondering whether I can safely do the same with those drives.  Specifically, is there some way to ensure that my PC does not shut down completely until the WD MyBook drives have spun down and/or done whatever else needs to happen in order to safely turn off the drive?

Thanks!

Ramon

I would like to know this as well…

Hey Ramon. Whenever your computer shuts down your WD will shortly shutdown after that on its own! Its important to safely remove the hardware when the computer is on. But when its off the drive will shutdown shortly after on its own.

Hi –

Thank you for the reply. Just to make sure I understand your point: normally your WD drives shut down AFTER your PC shuts down. So if my power strip cuts power to the drives at shutdown, then it sounds like the WD drives will NOT go through these post-PC-shutdown steps, and this would be considered a “bad thing”. Is that right?

Ramon

Yes thats right. If your power strip immediately cuts off power then it will cut the power prematurely. The WD drives usually take around 10 seconds AFTER the computer shuts down to turn off. The passport essentials turn off really quickly like 2 seconds, but the bigger the drive and size the longer it will take in my experience and I have like 10 WD products!