Offline Access

OK, so I have a question regarding the new authenticating process:

IF I LOSE MY BROADBAND CONNECTION HOW IN GOD’S GREATNESS DO I ACCESS A STORAGE DRIVE THAT IS SITTING ON A DESK NEXT TO ME?

This is absolutely ridiculous! Come on WD, give your users back the control over the equipment THEY own and have paid for. Why on earth have you deemed it necessary to implement an online authenticating procedure?

Have you looked at the User Manual, Page 10?

User Manual: My Cloud Home and My Cloud Home Duo (westerndigital.com)

How would you access any cloud storage if you lose your internet? The simple answer is to have a back up internet such as a cell phone or tablet, the authentication is for security and takes little data. The 2FA authentication and file level security for individual access in the My Cloud Home makes it fairly secure against any attack.

Yes, I have read the manual thank you. My point is that if I lose internet connectivity for any reason then I am locked out of a network storage device that sits on a desk next to my PC!

Thanks for your input… however, this is rather an absurd solution to a simple problem. My MyCloudHome worked perfectly well as a network storage device and could be accessed on my local network without the need for authentication until WD introduced this 2FA.

@AmberViking

Have you looked at these?

My Cloud Home: All Computers on the Network Cannot Access Public Share (wd.com)

My Cloud Home: TimeMachineBackup and Public Share are not accessible from Mobile, Web or Desktop App (wd.com)

Search Support | Western Digital