OEM drive and standard 3 year warranty

Hi

I’m looking at buying a 4TB Red drive from Amazon.co.uk, which says it is an OEM drive. I’d like to know whether I will then be able to register it for the standard 3 year warranty?

I’ve looked at some KB docs (e.g. difference between OEM and retail drives), but they haven’t answered this question.

Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Red-3-5-inch-Desktop-Hard-Drive/dp/B00EHBERSE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1424953913&sr=8-2&keywords=wd+red

Thanks

Hello and welcome.

This is what i found regarding OEM drives:

• OEM drives may not contain a warranty from Western Digital. When Western Digital sells hard drives to OEM computer manufacturers such as Dell, Compaq, Apple, etc, we sell these drives without warranty. The OEM computer manufacturer would include the hard drive under the warranty of the computer system that the hard drive was installed into. For more information about hard drive warranties, please see our Warranty Policy.

Take a look at this link for more information.

Difference between WD OEM vs. Retail (RTL) drives

Hi, thanks for the reply! Yes, it’s the “_OEM drives may not contain a warranty from Western Digital” _that I’d like to be able to confirm. As Amazon isn’t a PC manufacturer, like Dell etc, I’m thinking (hoping) that WD would let me register the drive for the 3 year warranty.