Nwecomers Question - How To Resume My Movies

Hi Guy’s ,

Just got my first Western Digital WD TV Live and managed to get
my movie collection running ok, the one thing I can’t seem to do is this …

I start to play a movie and then some thing happens where I have to
stop watching it, and have to shut down the unit off , say half way through the movie, If I want to resume watching the same movie again later I have to start all over again from the movies beginning  .

is there any way I can stop watching a movie , shut off the unit , and then switch the unit back on, and resume the same movie from the part where I last switched off the unit ?

Ive done a search here but no luck so far :cry:

any advice or comments most welcome

Thanks - William

My WD TV Live (is the non-Plus version)

Welcome to the forums.

No, the Plus will not do this and I don’t believe newer Live units do either – so don’t shut it off (that’s the simple answer – it takes so very little power you can safely leave it on).

Or you can use the ten minute skip procedure (start FF and then press the Next key to skip ahead ten minutes).  That will get you to where you need to resume quickly.

so the WD Live doesn’t support resume at all? or it only resumes so long as you don’t turn it off? Is there a limit to the number of files it will remember the resume position of?

Hi and thanks for the reply - its appreciated

I have been turning the unit off first via the remote control, then un plugging it from the mains power socket 

So If I just stop a movie and then turn off the unit via the remote control
but not the mains power , then next time I switch on the unit , I can some how resume the movie I was last watching from where it left off

have I got that right  :smiley:

Thanks - william

I hope you’ve got that right as I’m looking at buying one of these and if resume doesn’t work in that scenario then it’ll be a pain!

Two replies:  

Yes, the WDTV Live and Plus DO support Resume.  

On the Live+, it’s only supported (currently) if the unit is left powered ON.

On the Live, it’s supported in the OLD units as long as it’s not disconnected from the mains. 

On the NEWER Lives, the bahavior is the same as the Live+  A power Off of any sort will discard the Resume Data.

The Live+ and newer Lives have an EU energy requirement to go into DEEP Standby where RAM is also powered off.  The original Live units maintain power to RAM, so that data is retained during soft power-off, but not if disconnected from the power.

I don’t know how many files it’ll retain RESUME data on, but it’s at least a half dozen (that’s about MY limit of needing resume… :wink: )

Tony - Thanks for that its apprecated , off now to give it a try and I will post back on how things went .

William

so basically, if I were to buy a Live now I’d get a new one (probably) and if I put the unit into standby it’s goodbye to resume? :cry:

MrCarbo wrote:

so basically, if I were to buy a Live now I’d get a new one (probably) and if I put the unit into standby it’s goodbye to resume? :cry:

It’s hard to tell.   There’s not been any way to tell WHICH are the New and which are the old (by S/N or something.)

Quite a few people in recent weeks have been buying them, and still getting the old behavior.  I guess it’s a matter of how quickly the retailers are turning over their stock.

But yeah, your conclusion is correct.   That, and the longer start-up time (over a minute) are why try to avoid turning the Live+ off (unless it crashes)

So there’s no standby state… it’s either on or off?

Well, from a practical point of view, that’s right.

MrCarbo wrote:

So there’s no standby state… it’s either on or off?

There is a standby state on the new units but its a deeper standby then it used to be. This means that the boot up takes longer and anything in the ram (movie resume info) is lost. The deeper standby is due to a new power regulation which means that the unit will take hardly any power in standby (<1W). Obviously there needs to be some power to the Infra red remote receiver so that it can come out of stand-by via a remote command.

And does anybody know what the power consumption is if it’s left on… but not playing anything? And how long does it take to resume from standby - is this what takes > 1 minute?

MrCarbo wrote:

And does anybody know what the power consumption is if it’s left on… but not playing anything? And how long does it take to resume from standby - is this what takes > 1 minute?

Its about 6 watts. The new unit with ‘super standby’ takes about 55 seconds to boot up and get to the menu.

The orginal WDTV live takes about 5 watts in standby and constantly stays warm to the touch.