Nullam Rutrum

Aliquam sed tincidunt erat. Aenean consequat odio eu quam cursus ornare id quis arcu. Donec non velit hendrerit, iaculis magna et, hendrerit ligula.

1 Like

Hello,

Thank you for sharing this.

1 Like

Maybe, just maybe, WD’s motivation is to do that which is not in their customers best interests. In my experience the companies that succeed in the long term are those that do, indeed, look after their customers interests. Having said that, I completely agree with you about the use of RAID in a home environment. Except to say that there can be performance considerations to be taken into account when selecting RAID/JBOD. In my case I’ve selected RAID 0 to balance read/write performance across the various drives.

Just for your information, with the exception for the Thunderbolt for Mac - which comes out of the factory as RAID 0, our dual bay NAS’s come out of the factory as RAID 1’s, and our 4 bay NAS’s come out as RAID 5’s. Those RAIDs give our customers the best chance for protection on their data.

JBOD definitely has it’s upside, but if a user isn’t aware of how the volumes work, then they may not realize what’s happening when they fill up a volume assigning all their shares to that one volume, thinking that they have the entire drive to fill up still.

Good info.
As I mentioned to you earlier, I will be changing my NAS from Raid1 to JBOD in the near future now that I have a new 4TB My Book and can dump the NAS contents to it before changing over to JBOD (instead of from my many backup disks with the data) and solve problems you mention here and have a 2nd 4TB drive open for more data storage instead of the RAID1 4TB (from a dual drive 8TB capacity NAS).

For that reason, we are continuously adding more articles to our knowledge base. Thank you for contributing.

Bill, why doesn’t WD incorporate these articles in an update of the PDF user manual. I have better things to do than peruse the Knowledge Base for nuggets of info regarding my NAS, and it is much easier to download a new version of a user manual every so often. Just tack the new info in an Appendix!

Hi Mike,

I’m not sure that a lot of things we put in KBA’s aren’t already in the manuals. The knowledge base is just another way of disseminating the information. How many times have I heard you guys growl, “RTM!”? If users aren’t really reading the manuals, now, is it really worth the expense to update them?

We use the KB to explain a lot of things that users “should” know, but may not. That information isn’t always directly relevant to the product, so it isn’t included in the manuals. Nevertheless, for some of that information, the manuals do refer to KBA’s. But for the most part, the manuals are simply focused on helping users to get started using the devices. And I think they are much more thorough than most people give them credit for. One of the only problems I see with the manuals, is that users may not always fully understand the significance of a simple sentence. I know I’ve missed it before when reading the manual.

KB articles are perfect for maintaining and updating information on products. The whole process is dynamic, and we can group information across product family instead of just for that single product. And it’s much easier to add more information.

Furthermore, we’re finding that users want to search for that one thing they need to know, rather than wade through a volume of information for it. We’re constantly seeking to improve our KB search-ability, so that we can serve up just what people are looking for. And I believe we’re getting better at it.

FYI, there is often a spec data sheet with the more technical specs not found in the general product chit-chat. Bet there is one for your device.

Hmm, I looked. There is a product overview sheet for you model, although for my preceding DL2100 I find a data sheet here My Cloud Business Series Data Sheet

Wow. cut/paste limk not working, so go into support for DL2100 and you will find link to click to see the Data Sheet.