NTP Time Source

I have a technical question, that I am hoping someone may be able to answer… I block everything on my firewall for both incoming and outgoing connections, and only allow out what I specify. To that end, I don’t allow my WDTV Live to access any site for any reason, except for support.wdc.com for firmware updates. I have set up on my server a NTP time service, with all my clients pointing to that for their time. I am using DCHP option 4 to specify this server as the time source. Does the WDTV use this option to get the right time server, or will it always try to go to pool.ntp.org.? Oh, BTW, I have over 20+ years as an IT contractor, so I know what I am doing. :slight_smile: Thanks.

Well, you should be able to determine this for yourself.

If WDTV is going to pool.ntp.org it will be blocked by your firewall unless you allow that. Look in the logs.

root-node wrote:
will it always try to go to pool.ntp.org.? Oh, BTW, I have over 20+ years as an IT contractor, so I know what I am doing. :slight_smile: Thanks.

It will always use that.  It’s hard-coded into one of the bootup scipts.

But, you can do a little trick.

If you’re really “into it,” you could run your own DNS server with a local zone that resolves pool.ntp.org to your own server.  :)

TonyPh12345 wrote:

If you’re really “into it,” you could run your own DNS server with a local zone that resolves pool.ntp.org to your own server.  :)

Thanks, I’ll do this.!  :)