NOTICE: Service Issues Update for My Cloud and My Book Live

Our My Cloud and My Book Live users are experiencing intermittent issues with WD servers that enable remote access when using these products.  These issues include poor transfer speeds and/or inability to connect remotely.  We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience and we are working very hard to resolve these issues and resume normal service as soon as possible.  We thank you for your patience and will provide updates as they are available.

Please be sure to click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the ‘Accept as Solution’ button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.

We continue to make progress restoring connections to our My Cloud and My Book Live servers, but some users continue to experience intermittent connectivity and transfer speed issues.  We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience and we are working very hard to resolve these issues and resume normal service for everyone as soon as possible.  We thank you for your patience.

When is this issue expected to be resolved?

Since buying a WD MyBook Live a few months ago there have been problems with setting it up for remote access due to some issue with Java and now transfer speeds are very slow and remote access is impossible!

t looks like WD did not consider the effect to its reputaion and launched this product before it had fully tested its stability! A massive problem for people trying to access files remotely! Thanks WD! 

We have made significant progress restoring connections to our My Cloud and My Book Live servers. We are in the process of validating connections for our entire user base. We recommend that if you are still experiencing connectivity issues to restart your My Book Live or My Cloud device. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Have tried that - still no success. It looks like a Java issue - but I can’t verify that?

I’m absolutely fuming with this entire product range. I have 2 of these My Book Live drives and BOTH are inacceisble remotely because of this Java issue and BOTH are hideously slow on Gigabit Ethernet networks. (20-25Mbs copy speed is absolutely unacceptable on a full dedicated Gigabit ethernet setup. Copying to my computer on the SAME network i get 80 - 95Mbs easily… This product seems like a half hearted attempt at a personal NAS. Im so annoyed with WD on this and it doesn’t look like i can refund or RMA these devices now.

Copying files to the device is loses connection about half the way through a 40GB copy. 

These MyBook Live products should be recalled or pulled from shops! WD is effectively selling a faulty product which is not delivering on its advertised features. My USB drive does a better job currently than this.

1 Like

I agree, im still waiting or some news on how to recover my files to my new computer. Hope to receive news soon!

They are selling a product that does not perform as WD claim. [Deleted]

Sorry, but this is absolute nonsense.   There is NO issue with Java that completely disables the use of the cloud service on the MBL.

As has been explained, there are workarounds.   If you choose not to employ the workarounds, that’s your choice.

Oracle updated their Java philosophy well after the last firmware update for the MBL – so if you want to blame someone, blame Oracle.

In addition to that, there are SO MANY other ways of accessing your data using WD provided apps that have no dependency on Java whatsoever.

Each time I log into my My Book Live, I have to click to accept that there is no recognisable certificate.

The issue with Java is also very frustrating as remote access is impossible,

Isn’t that contradictory?   If the “issue with java” makes it impossible to access your MBL, then how are you getting to the point where you’re accepting the certificatie?

I have no trouble at all connecting to my My Book Live on my Windows 7 SP1 machine, using Chrome (or IE) running Java 7 Update 55.

As seen here:   No trouble at all:

This guy above TonyPh12345 saying " There is NO issue with Java that completely disables the use of the cloud service on the MBL." Well yes there is an issue with Java disabling the cloud feature completely since the last Java update hence why so many users are left wondering what the **bleep** happened and WD just shrugging their shoulders saying we dunno pretty **bleep** obvious isn’t it…

On a side note for me and many other users i wasn’t even getting to the point of accepting a certificate it was just erroring out wtih Java errors. I sent these to WD they told me the workaround of lowering the securtiy from High to Medium/Low. Which i did and it still didn’t work producing exactly the same errors as before…

This pisses me off immensely stating “As has been explained, there are workarounds.   If you choose not to employ the workarounds, that’s your choice.” WD Have not stated any specific workarounds on their website anywhere! Their Support articles FAQ’s or KB do not have an article on any workarounds anywhere for this problem. (If you can Link to these great workarounds instead of talkign about them that would help alot more people!

Im fuming with WD for not making this clearly visible anywhere for this product or sending out an email with some guidance to MBL owners. I have had this sat drive in the corner plugged in not being used for months because i thought this was just a rubbish useless product i will be chucking soon…

The only response / Workaround i’ve got for this issue was from WD saying:

[Deleted]

Which is great i did that… Still error error error everywhere!. Considering there hasn’t been a Firmware update from WD since 23rd November (Around the time this device stopped being a cloud device) everyone is looking at WD to pull their finger out and patch this up already.

My Fix for Now

1. What i have had to do is a FULL FACTORY RESTORE [LONG] Wiping my entire 2TB volume. (Backed the data off elsewhere or you might get away with skipping this step)
  2. Remove all existing entries on wd2go.com (Re-Add factory restored MBL for web access)
  3. Restored all Java Security Prompts by going to Control Panel > Java 32bit > Security Tab > Restore Security Prompts
  4. I then got to wd2go.com and click view my shares on the device, It asks me to accept a new certificate to be installed, click Run and Ok on a few basic java security warning windows and then boom i can see my shares again.

NO WHERE IS THIS CLEARLY STATED ANYWHERE FROM WD. I hope this helps others because i can now finally connect to my Remote WD MBL device off premesis. 

This Window used to just display JAVA ERROR alll the time! It finally lets me browse me Shares from anywhere!