Nothing but an overpriced paperweight

I spent $300 on a WD cloud external hard drive and I feel like I have been violated.

Hours upon hours on the phone the first week after purchase to get it to work. Why I wasted my time, I don’t know. Then I death in the family and dealing with that took up many weeks. Too many to return for any refund or exchange at Best Buy.

The purchase was to back-up a failing iMac. Lost more than half my stuff in the “migration” because it said it was there, but when I opened the files (after the old iMac went completely kaput) the folders were EMPTY.

Oh, and now I am passed the warranty on the device, so no support from WD.

Trying to access the device while it’s directly connected to my computer is a joke and anything I want to transfer, I have to copy and paste in bits and pieces otherwise it just created an alias or takes DAYS upon DAYS to move.

I’m going to be completely grey bny the time I get everything off the WD and onto my new Seagate, which doesn’t take 10 minutes for me to access.

And Best Buy and WD… SHAME ON YOU for saying your products are compatible with Apple. LIES. ALL LIES!

I’m out $300 and a terabyte worth of music, books, movies, and design projects.

How do I go about clearing out all my stuff and putting this up on ebay for a PC user?

Cuz I’d never wish this on another unsuspecting Apple person.

I agee with you. Many of us have spent way more time tinkering with these things.   I sugest useing a LAN cable to your router and enabiling FTP on the mycloud and transfer your files that way.  GL 

It’s not a solution to your MyCloud problems, but is there a chance you could salvage your data from the iMac’s HDD (even if that needs professional help)?  Or did the iMac die due to failing HDD?  In which case, that might be the cause of the empty files copied to the MyCloud.

The old iMac is gone. I DID try pro help in all of this, but nothing was recoverable. The machine has been taken apart for parts. :frowning: A tip from someone else mentioned that the connection may have failed in the process of the transfer and that’s why I have empty folders/files, as well. One thing that was noticed about the WD was that it times out and I need to “connect as” constantly. I am currently trying to move pictures from the WD to the Seagate and the WD shut itself down. In the middle of everything. I am about to scream. And I am using the cable that came with the WD. I don’t have any others, and honestly, I have no idea how to set it up from the router to an FTP. Besides, if the WD is directly connected to my computer, wouldn’t that be faster? My computer guru was my Dad, and he was the person who passed away. So I don’t know a lot of technical stuff. sorry.

Admittedly, that’s kind of strange.

I got the EX2 about 9 months ago I think. By and large, it’s been working very well for me. For some reason, one of the user accounts I’ve created isn’t allowing the user to be logged in remotely through the my cloud app, but I’m gonna try to delete and readd the user and see if that fixes it.

Also, it’s had issues picking up on USB devices plugged into it. Haven’t yet figured that one out but it’s not too big of a deal.

I’m gonna attempt soon to migrate all my stuff to the EX4 because I’m running out of space. Hopefully that’ll go well. Kinda scared based on what I’ve read about WD support.

Also, they need to work on the my cloud app for iOS. It’s a little ridiculous that I can’t export files to other apps so that I can, for example, play MKV’s in Infuse.

By and large though, it serves my needs and that’s what matters to me.

Have you tried completely resetting everything and starting from scratch?

No need to apologise; the MyCloud is advertised as a simple to use device, so there’s no reason why you should be expected to have deep technical knowledge. I’m sorry you’re having so much trouble, and, above all, very sorry to hear about the loss of your Dad. I wish there was more I could do to help, but I don’t use a Mac, and haven’t experienced the problems you’re having.  Just different problems…

iMac_Girl wrote:
The oldiMac is gone. I DID try pro help in all of this, but nothing was recoverable. The machine has been taken apart for parts. :frowning: A tip from someone else mentioned that the connection may have failed in the process of the transfer and that’s why I have empty folders/files, as well. One thing that was noticed about theWD was that it times out and I need to “connect as” constantly. I am currently trying to move pictures from theWD to theSeagate and theWD shut itself down. In the middle of everything. I am about to scream. And I am using the cable that came with theWD. I don’t have any others, and honestly, I have no idea how to set it up from the router to an FTP. Besides, if theWD is directly connected to my computer, wouldn’t that be faster? My computer guru was my Dad, and he was the person who passed away. So I don’t know a lot of technical stuff. sorry.

my condolences about your father.   

iMac_Girl,

I am especially sorry to hear about you Father and your data loss. I’m a Windows user and I seriously wish I could help you.

You have definately come to the right place as this community is awesome for help of every kind. To get you the help you need I would contact  support and put in a ticket.

Was this your Father’s My Cloud? The reson I ask is t hat if it was, he probably registered the My Cloud, but in any case I would contact support and explain your situation. It might be the iMac that failed but you My Cloud should not go offline during any transaction.

All the Best :wink:

1 Like