Note to Searchers: WLI-UC-GN is 2.4 GHz Only

Paint me peaved…  After getting my Linksys E3000 up and running, I discover that the WLI-UC-GN installed on Living Room WDTV Live is 2.4 GHz Only. 

Meaning, though I now have my APs running Simultaneous Dual-Band, it will not work.   I’ll have to run the thing in Mixed-Mode.   

:angry:

Guess it’s my own fault for not reading the detailed specs…  I just assumed an N adapter would support 5.0Ghz, but nope…  Oh well, lesson learned.

Interesting you say this.  When I had wireless issues (and tried an N router) I found I wasn’t getting N speeds from my Belkin F5D8055 (and you might remember but I actually asked in the Lounge whether the Live really does do 5.0GZ).

So now I’m wondering – if these two wireless adapters don’t give N speeds, perhaps it’s not the adapter’s fault.  Or perhaps there isn’t an N adapter on the approved list that gives N speeds.

mkelley wrote:

Interesting you say this.  When I had wireless issues (and tried an N router) I found I wasn’t getting N speeds from my Belkin F5D8055 (and you might remember but I actually asked in the Lounge whether the Live really does do 5.0GZ).

So now I’m wondering – if these two wireless adapters don’t give N speeds, perhaps it’s not the adapter’s fault.  Or perhaps there isn’t an N adapter on the approved list that gives N speeds.

Are you saying that there is a relationship between 5GHz and N speeds? I thought that if both units are N certified then you get the speed irrespective of the operating frequency. It appears that the Belkin F5D8055 does not do 5GHz either.

(Sorry if I am missing something) 

5GHz is not necessary for N speeds and not all N capable devices support 5GHz.  I hate it when I buy something and then realise later that a feature I was “sure” it had is actually not available.  Commiserations.

My older Belkin F5D8051 is an N-draft model but connected fine to an ‘N’ spec router I briefly had and regularly got a connection of 130mbps when hooked up to my old laptop.  Not sure what the big deal is with 5GHz, other than it’s a less cluttered wavelength…?

I dimly recall reading somewhere that 5Ghz wasn’t supported in the WD TV Live firmware but that was months ago.  Will see if I can find it.

Regardless, like Rich says, neither the Belkin F5D8055 nor the Buffalo WLI-UC-GN advertise themselves as being 5GHz models on their respective websites.  Never assume anything!  :)

I assume that you have some screen on your router / computer which sets up the the two frequency bands?

As I am unaware of any screen on the WDTV (unless it comes up with a dual frequency adaptor) then I would assume that it would default to the compatible & common 2.4GHz. From what I see 5GHz has some positive benefits particularly when the whole of your neighbourhood is using 2.4GHz WI-FI and so are other household items such as phones / microwaves / video senders.

I think somebody was using the WUSB600N on 5GHz (be careful about the version)

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/ANZ/en/products/WUSB600N

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Networking/Please-Vote-Support-for-Dual-Band-Wireless-N-Routers-and/m-p/11949/highlight/true#M958