Not recognizing anymore

Hello there, 

Yesterday my hd my passport 3.0 stopped working, just don´t recognize anywhere, not even on a tv…nothing happens.

It tries to read, i can hear some clicks but then stop trying to read, the led light keep on but nothing happens.

Could it be the cable? Do i need to send him to the warrant?

I Have the same problem! Suddenly it stopped working. The light keeps on, but nothing happens. The drive is detected by Windows, but fails to install WD SES Device!!!

How can I need to get my data from the hdd before sending it to the warrant? 

It could be the cable call WD they’ll probably send you a new one. You can also ask them about a Power Booster cable. It’s Y shaped and uses 2 ports on PC for more power.

Joe

Hi Joe_S

I don’t think the problem is either the cable nor power related, because I’ve tested on severel PC (front and rear USB port), laptops and with other cables as well.

don´t think it is the cable as well, anyway ive preferred to buy a new one.

and if it is the cable, it will work. :smiley:

hello there

as i told you, ive tested with the cable of the new hd, so this is not the problem, still dont recognize

If you´re having the same problem as i, forget the cable

Hi there.

Yes, I’m in the same situation as you are! I’ve also tried with different cables and on different computers.

I think the problem is with WDSmartWare, or something like that.

jpraminhos wrote:

Hi there.

Yes, I’m in the same situation as you are! I’ve also tried with different cables and on different computers.

I think the problem is with WDSmartWare, or something like that.

WDSmartWare? Omg…so i will unistall it now hahaha…

I think the problem is phisical, with the drive itself…problem now is to find all the materials to send the old one to the warrant store…there goes my money :confused:

Hi.

What I meant was that the problem isn’t physical regarding the hdd itself. It should be a problem with component where resides the WD SES Driver. This is my oppinion since the drive is recognized by the computer but the WD SES Driver installations gets stucked in the middle and blocks the whole process.

jpraminhos wrote:

Hi.

What I meant was that the problem isn’t physical regarding the hdd itself. It should be a problem with component where resides the WD SES Driver. This is my oppinion since the drive is recognized by the computer but the WD SES Driver installations gets stucked in the middle and blocks the whole process.

yourse is not physical but mine is, cause it isnt recognizing hehehehe…get it now? :stuck_out_tongue:

sorry for the bad english

I am having the same issue.  I have a WD elite 320gb.  It was working fine today.  I saved a document.  Came back to the computer a few minutes later and it was not recognized.  I unplugged it and reconnected.  I have tried a different cable and a different computer.  The power is on, it whirs, but MS “does not recognize the device”.  When troubleshooting, it says no driver is installed and cannot find one.  I am a teacher and finals begin on Monday.  I’m in desperate need of my data now.  Someone on a different site has suggested using a shorter cable (6 in).  I will have to try that at home.  I will post if it works!  In the mean time, if you find success, please post! :slight_smile:

avenir1961 wrote:

I am having the same issue.  I have a WD elite 320gb.  It was working fine today.  I saved a document.  Came back to the computer a few minutes later and it was not recognized.  I unplugged it and reconnected.  I have tried a different cable and a different computer.  The power is on, it whirs, but MS “does not recognize the device”.  When troubleshooting, it says no driver is installed and cannot find one.  I am a teacher and finals begin on Monday.  I’m in desperate need of my data now.  Someone on a different site has suggested using a shorter cable (6 in).  I will have to try that at home.  I will post if it works!  In the mean time, if you find success, please post! :slight_smile:

now i get it hehehe. about try another cable…i don´t think it will solve the problem, the best you can do is go to some store that can get your data back, its expensive but it worth the price.

i´ve lost all my portfolio because of wd :( 

mine is a 1tb hd, so…i think you´re lucky to have a 320gb hehe, the recover will be more cheaper :slight_smile:

you guys do realize that if you try another cable it has to be 18inches or shorter.  Also, have any of you checked to see if your passport shows up in disk management?

Hi there!

Yes, I’ve tried with different and shorter cable. Also, my passport doesn’t show up in disk management, but it is recognized by windows and shows up in device manager!

ive tried it too but nothing happens :confused:

jpraminhos wrote:

Hi there!

Yes, I’ve tried with different and shorter cable. Also, my passport doesn’t show up in disk management, but it is recognized by windows and shows up in device manager!

if it’s not showing up in disk management, that’s most likely because the drive is dead or not spinning.  being able to see it in disk management, is most likely because the bridge board is being recognized.

[edit]

you’re looking at data recovery.

Thais wrote:

what do you mean nothing happens?  it spins up but isn’t recognized?  the drive doesn’t spin up at all? 

Hi Wayne.

If the drive is not spinning, do you think  there is something I can do to recover my data?

yeah, you’d have to go to a data recovery company for that.

Wayne wrote:

Thais wrote:

what do you mean nothing happens?  it spins up but isn’t recognized?  the drive doesn’t spin up at all? 

Yep, it spins and then makes some noises like PLIP. Someone told me that it´s needle hidding, but how can 1 hd that never fell, etc and was working fine and one day it just stops working and start needle hidding? oO

Of course i´ve didn´t tried to let other people open it to see what´s the real problem and as the wd only back working on january, im gonna need to wait to send them the hd :x