Not all folders/files on media server are visible from WD TV Live

We have 2 WD TV Live units, both v1.11.14 firmware, both with the same behavior.  When I power them up and select VIdeos, then the red B button to select input source, select Media Server, and point it to my Windows 7 server (“wolverine”) configured to stream media, I then select Folders, then Videos to get to the Video share on that computer.

When I navigate down into the folders, many videos do not appear in the lists of files on the WD TV Live.  There seems to be no common reason for files to be missing.

In one folder, there are 13 .avi files when I view them in Windows Explorer on “wolverine”.  Only 5 are visible on the WD TV Live.

If we copy those same files to a USB thumb drive, they are all visible and playable from the thumb drive, but not over the network from the media server.

The Videos directory is shared off of “wolverine” using a Windows (CIFS?) share (read/write) to the home group.  One of the WD TV Live units has the home group password, the other does not - it does not appear to make a difference.

This is very frustrating.  How can I help you diagnose this problem?  Thank you, in advance.

You’re mixing up completely unrelated things.

First, the WD doesn’t have anything to do with Homegroups – Only Windows 7 PCs do Homegroups.  So don’t spend your time there.

Second, you say you’re setting the “Content Source” to “Media Server,” and then discussing CIFS shares.  

If you’re using Media Server setting, then CIFS shares are irrelevent.   Media Server is using the DLNA server built into Windows 7 (Windows Media Player).

If you want to actually use the CIFS share you set up, you need to set the content source to “Network Shares.”

Finally, if they’re not showing up when using Media Server, it’s because the Media Server isn’t reporting them, possibly because the server needs to rescan its content libraries.

Okay.  Let’s ignore Homegroups and CIFS.

I did setup my Win7 x64 system as a DLNA server which is why I chose the “Media Server” choice.

All of the directories are visible (in Windows Explorer) on the Win7 system, so I’m not sure what you mean that “the server needs to rescan its content libraries”.  Would you please elaborate?

Thanks TonyPh12345.

Unfortunately I cannot, because I don’t use that functionality… Perhaps another user will chime in.

the DLNA server always create a database in the root directory of the shared folder.

It creates a folder named: “twonkymedia.db” inside there should be a file named “twonkymedia.main.db”

Just delete the “twonkymedia.db” folder. this forces the server to rescan all containing files…

Are those files that are not shown over the mediaserver always the same? or are they random?

What sort of file are they? mkv/mp4/ogm etc.

Probably some files are not supported by your DLNA server (WMC?)

Or the SMP does not support all kind of video files over DLNA?

Try this DLNA server tool: (30 day trial)

http://www.tvmobili.com/

I have tested it on my system and it works, but i am rather disappointed by the service of a DLNA source (no mediainfo/thumbnails) so i dont use it anymore.

WMC is different than Twonky, so there’s not going to be a twonkymedia.db file.

The SMP supports all files over DLNA except for DVD.  (VOBs are supported, but will not have navigation and seamless playback)

i think WMC creates the database files in this directory:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player

CurrentDatabase_372.wmdb and other .wmdb files should be the WMC database files.

Thank you, Narlor and TonyPh12345.

There is no twonkymedia.db in the top directory of the Videos share.

There is a  CurrentDatabase_372.wmdb in the “…/AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player” directory along with 4 other files.

Would the same suggestion apply: remove the database file in order to force it to recreate it?

Remove just the database or all of the files?

Thank you, in advance.

i am not 100% sure if this wil solve the problem, but its worth a try.

Just for the test, just rename the file to something like:  CurrentDatabase_372.wmdb.bak

the WMC will create the same file on the next start.

Or you can rename the “\Media Player” folder to “\Media Player1”

This will reset all settings and you may have to add the media folder again (windows context menu)

If this does not help, just rename the backup and everything is back.