Not able to map my shares onto Windows 10 PCs in a Windows Server networked environment without using AD

Dear WD Community,
I am using the My Cloud Pro Series [PR4100] 4-Bay NAS and I have some 50 users/shares created on it. I am not able to consistently configure all my Windows 10 [Pro] desktops/laptops to work correctly to allow mapping of NAS shares to Windows desktops in a network environment. I got two [out of 15 desktops and their users] to work but the others that I have come across don’t work. I am getting the red warning “Access is denied” at the Windows security box where one enters credentials, not allowing NAS credentials, instead does allow Windows users credentials based on the Windows Domain of the network. Eventually, I would like all the desktops to have the NAS shares mapped according to NAS user credentials. I am perplexed as to what exactly blocks those that don’t work, and what allows others to work.

So I am requesting the WD community knowledgeable members to please volunteer your expertise and efforts if you happen to understand my dilemma on this case, and are inspired to try to suggest some clues that may lead to my solutions. I get very little help from WD support, and from my IT offsite consultants that had been contracted to install the Windows 2012 Server back in 2016 to house project data generated by project managers and estimators, for a construction company, and to reduce costs, the consultants recommend the WD NAS to replace the Windows server, but the consultants are probably not able to educate me on how to implement it. So I’m on my own, I’m the IT guy at my office who is assigned to do the migration from the Windows server to NAS. It is my responsibility to move the data from the Windows 2012 server to the WD NAS and then remove the server.

In the project for how I want to set up the NAS, I have planned to migrate, import, and distribute the Windows Server file documents and folders into the NAS shares and their associated users with their credentials and access permissions set up in the dashboard using import users list file to create the users and shares, and doing minor changes manually in the dashboard under users and under shares.

My question is, what is the source of my Windows error? Where in the Windows 10 security, Registry editor (%windir%\regedit.exe), credentials, network, and/or permissions is there a setting that needs to be either enabled or disabled in order to allow my WD MyCloud NAS shares to be mapped onto the desktop, without coming up with that error that says, “Access is denied,” In other words, how to eliminate the block that Windows has placed on the NAS shares. The NAS is visible, and its shares are visible, but I cannot open its shares/folders from Windows file explorer, unless Windows allows me to map them, and I do know the username and passwords to these shares.

I thought I had figured it out, but not quite. I tried getting Windows security to not look at the domain\user but NAS\user followed by credentials. I managed to do it for two PCs, but the others I can’t. It’s as if while connected to the network, it is forced to deal with the network’s domain name, but the NAS should be dealt with independently of the domain, the network’s domain managed in the DNC which is in the Server, if I understand correctly. The same assumptions that I used to get one desktop to work, when applied to another user’s workstation did not work, suggesting to me that there must be something in the many settings in Windows that I need to examine one by one to configure.

I do know of a way to do it using AD, enabling Active Directory in the NAS’s dashboard, and setting permissions of Windows users to the NAS shares, but that is not a good solution because when I pull out the emptied Windows Server, I won’t have ADC anymore, so I must figure out a way to use the NAS, without enabling AD, to map the “drives” shares using NAS created users/credentials, I created in the NAS dashboard. Sorry for my longwinded explanations.

Is there a checklist of things that need to be set in order to allow access? Anyone?

Thank you in advance.

Compassion - Om Ah Hum,

Jairo jamyang-pawo Moreno

I also posted this same issue in WD Support as a case titled “WHY AM I ABLE TO MAP MY NAS SHARES TO MY LAPTOP BUT CAN’T TO MY DESKTOP?”
And I got some support over the days, but nothing came about.
Finally, I called Lekcomp.com and I got someone to help me. The support engineer there was able to see what I was trying to do, and after some time trying different things came upon the solution. I explain it in a message to WD Support below:

Dear Arthur and others [at WD Support who were on this case],
I have some good news: I am now able to map network drives that are the shares of the NAS onto any and all PCs in the network. The solution if you care to know is that I needed to go into my dashboard, set the NT LAN Manager to “NTLM v1 and NTLM v2” because it seems that the default setting of “NTLM v2 only” did not work for the network computers that I have here. Why? I am not sure why, but I would dare guess that some devices on the network were requiring the old version NTLM v1.

This setting change from “NTLM v2 only” to “NTLM v1 and NTLM v2” was discovered today by tech support Mr. Stewart Joseph at Lekcomp.com when he obtained my permission to remotely access my desktop and I showed him what I was trying to do, and he verified that it was so, that I could not map NAS shares onto my computer’s Windows File Explorer. So he found the setting that needed to be changed in the WD NAS dashboard under Settings > Network > Windows Services – “NT LAN Manager” where he changed it from “NTLM v2 only” to “NTLM v1 and NTLM v2” and then he showed that I now can map the NAS shares onto the computer, and to any computer in the network.
So I hope you can understand why for my network I needed to have NTLM version 1. And I hope you find someone else who may need to know this.

Thanks anyway for whatever help and suggestions you provided.

Compassion,
Jairo “jamyang-pawo” Moreno

Hi @jairowd,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask