Not able to access shares

I recently bought one of these and have been occupied many hours (+10) trying to get this unit working. Everything works from the USB-port but the LAN-port does not do the job. I can access YouTube and I can see my different pc’s on the net but not the shares. I earlier used firmware 1.01.17 and after an upgrade to 1.01.24 today I got a little further. The error message has changed and now only my password or username is wrong. I installed WireShark and put the euipment on a little hub isolated from all other equipment. The WD TV Live requires a workgroup WORKGROUP so I made this. I also saw a username that the unit was trying to use so I created this user with a known password. Now it accepts the username but still I am not able to see my files. In the “Capture” from WireShark I can see my filenames so there is some kind of meaningful communication. I have tried to contact WD and they escalated my case but still I have no solution. Finally I returned the unit to the vendor. It simply isn’t good enough yet.

Sorry about that.I would rather have this box.

/hfk

1 Like

Did you check access rights in local policies (XP)? That was what my WD hindering to access shares.

As far as I know not, the access rights have been screwed up my non working windows media player installations.

regards

Axl

hfkonrad wrote:

I recently bought one of these and have been occupied many hours (+10) trying to get this unit working. Everything works from the USB-port but the LAN-port does not do the job. I can access YouTube and I can see my different pc’s on the net but not the shares. I earlier used firmware 1.01.17 and after an upgrade to 1.01.24 today I got a little further. The error message has changed and now only my password or username is wrong. I installed WireShark and put the euipment on a little hub isolated from all other equipment. The WD TV Live requires a workgroup WORKGROUP so I made this. I also saw a username that the unit was trying to use so I created this user with a known password. Now it accepts the username but still I am not able to see my files. In the “Capture” from WireShark I can see my filenames so there is some kind of meaningful communication. I have tried to contact WD and they escalated my case but still I have no solution. Finally I returned the unit to the vendor. It simply isn’t good enough yet.

Sorry about that.I would rather have this box.

/hfk

hfkonrad,

Are you using Win XP?

Are you canadian so I can call you ,as on my end calling is free?

OR, are you abroad, but can make phone calls for free?

If so, I can help you.  You would have to leave me your email address and i’ll take it from there.

Rereading your message I saw you returned the unit.  Too bad, great box with simple solutions to get your network shares going.

ok, the offer still stands.  I’ll take the first person that leaves their email address indicating a problem with accessing network shares.

Requirements…

You speak English (preferably not with a really thick accent, sorry)

You are using win XP

You have all the updates and service paks installed for Win XP including SP3

If you have anti virus,/anti spyware, please have it updated and scanned recently

You are Canadian so I can call you, as its free on my end.

OR, you live abroad and YOU can call me for free.

In your email, please include the make/model of your router, and the company/version of your anti virus or other security programs you are using please.  This is very important.

Once the first person leaves their email address, I’ll take it from there.  Keep in mind, this POTENTIALLY could be a lengthy process.

My goal is to help one person per day/week and in turn the amount of people that become armed with solutions the more folks that will be helped out quicker.

I have the same problem. I have tried everything. I renamed the workgroup to WORKGROUP, everything. I can see the computer on the network, but when I try to use the username/password I created specifically for this (which has ntfs and share permissions to the shared directory) it will not log in. Says share can not be accessed.

I enabled the guest account on the pc, I enabled guest access in local security policy. Guest login does not work.

I can access the share from the network (from different workgroups / domains, even) using the account I created, AND guest. Everything works peftectly as expected in windows networking-- just this darn box will NOT log in correctly.

FlyboyJim, I would be interested to know what kind of magic incantations or animal you had to sacrifice to which god to get yours to work.  My email is steverundle at gmail dot com, or go ahead and share your secrets with the world in this thread.

i’m about 2 seconds away from punting this thing out the window.

ps: I am using the current firmware revision.

If your PC is running Windows XP, try changing the two Network DDE settings as described in the lengthy thread “Network connection drops every 4 minutes.” Sorry, can’t tell you exactly where to look at the moment, but I think Rich_UK is the user who posted the solution. Might work, might not.

2 Likes

I’ll be **bleep**.

Enabling Network DDE DSM and Network DDE actually worked for me.

NOW… Now comes the part where I try to get this beast to see the shares on my opensolaris CIFS server…

I get the distinct feeling it’s going to be trouble, lol.

1 Like