Noob Needing Duplicate File Help

Happy New Year!  I recently purchased a WD Live TV unit w/o an internal HD ($89).  I am using a WD 1 TB Passport with it.  It has taken several hours to upload the code for everything (over 11,000 pics, 2700 songs, and 90 movies). I have a question. I have noticed there are duplicates of all the songs and pics.  When hooking the Passport up to my PC however there are not duplicates.  Any ideas why this is happening and how to get around it if possible?  Thanks.

I think clearing the media library in the settings menu takes care of this issue.

I am assuming this is different than restoring to factory settings?

Yes much different.

From my bad memory : press settings button on remote select System then Media Library then Clear Media Library

How does this fix the problem?  I am not second guessing you, I just want to understand why it’s happened.  I have read several other accounts of this happening to people, but no clear-cut reason why it’s happening and a solid solution, just several reasons and soulutions.  If it helps to know, I have my router from my PC plugged into a Netgear Powerline AV 200 in my office.  In my basement, my hub is plugged into the other PLAV200.  I have read of people being able to access their hubs via their PCs. Do I need to do that and if so, how.  I have a wirless net, however the signal is weak in my basement, therefore I use the Powerline.  Thanks for haning in there with me on this.

Another question:  I am hooking a WD 1 TB Passport up to my hub.  On it are 24+ GB of music, 169+ GB of pics, and 104 GB of video.  In addition, there are 321 GB of HD images from my PC’s and laptop’s C:drive.  Is all of this data the reason it is taking forever for the code to upload to the hub?  The lights on the two devices continue to flash, so I know there is something going on. Also, when I turn my TV on and change the input to HDMI2 (what I have dedicated to the hub), I can’t even get the hub’s menu to come up when I hit the home button.  Ideas on this?

TigerJon wrote:

How does this fix the problem?  I am not second guessing you, I just want to understand why it’s happened.  I have read several other accounts of this happening to people, but no clear-cut reason why it’s happening and a solid solution, just several reasons and soulutions.  If it helps to know, I have my router from my PC plugged into a Netgear Powerline AV 200 in my office.  In my basement, my hub is plugged into the other PLAV200.  I have read of people being able to access their hubs via their PCs. Do I need to do that and if so, how.  I have a wirless net, however the signal is weak in my basement, therefore I use the Powerline.  Thanks for haning in there with me on this.

It fixes the problem by first deleting and then re-compiling the Media Library. I don’t know WHY it gets all buggered up. I refuse to use it on mine and leave it turned off. Turning it off causes the loss of a lot of additional sorting features, marking favorites and other stuff. I don’t need any of it and don’t even miss it. When it’s off your Hub will boot up faster too as it doesn’t re-compile and this, I suppose, is why you see nothing but flashing lights as it compiles the additional info from your external drive(s) as well as the internal one.

I suppose PLA’s, if you’re lucky, work OK and are better than wireless but if you can get a cat5 connection to the Hub it’ll be better. Assuming you have turned on the Hub’s ability to be shared by Windows (Setup Menu>Network Settings>Network Share Management> Turn on Windows Share Server and DLNA Media Server as you may have devices like tablets or other DLNA devices you want to play movies to/from also make sure the Workgroup name is correct for you network. You should then be able to see the Hub from your PC by looking at the network from your PC.

This may not be the way EVERYONE sets up their Hub, it’s the way I setup MINE. it works fine for me. YOU might need or want the additional features of the media library, I hate it. What works for ME might not work for YOU. You should take a look HERE as there is a copy of the manual there as well as a FAQ and the latest Firmware AND instructions on HOW to install it. You should make sure that you are using the latest firmware as a lot of bugs have been fixed (and some others have been added :slight_smile: ). I would suggest you NOT update your firmware over the network. Instead, download it from the site above and follow the instructions for installing it from a USB device. This is just a suggestion as there is less chance of your loosing a connection to the internet half way through the installation and thereby having a failed update.

I have always used the Media Library function.  

I’ve seen this issue maybe two or three times in the history of the box – yeah, sometimes it “just happens.”

But for me, generally just forcing a reboot of the box will clear it up on its own without the need to clear the whole library.   While that will certainly do it, think of it as a last resort.

flhthemi,

I will try your suggestion by turning off the media library.  My main reason for this purchase is to have all my movies on it in order to watch them easier.  The music thing will be handy.  I wonder, can I customize a playlist without having to have ML turned on?  Also, how do Ifind my WORKGROUP name and will it be the same whether I decide to try the wireless connection or the PLA method?  Thanks for elping me with this, I do appreciate it.

-Jon

It’s in there with the rest of the network settings. The default workgroup name is WORKGROUP. Most people never change it in windows so if you haven’t then it should be fine as is.

flhthemi,

I got it. Everything is so much better categorized as well. I found my workgroup as well and can recognize the hub on my PC. Thank you for your help.

-Jon