NOOB looking for any how to documents on conversion and configuration

Hello,

I am in the beginning of the process of looking to convert my wifes 600 or so dvds to a media system.

A few questions.

It this point i only have a WD 3tb drive.

My main goal is to convert dvds to digital media on hard drive and have access to them on a network in various bedroom in the house.

Can i simoply use the wd live units and connect the HD to one of them and access them via other units throughout the house?

Also is there and simple DVD to digital software that will decrypt and convert in a easy fashion on one step. (this will be the wifes job - lol)

Also what format offer a good relationship between quality and size…will be views on screen ranging from 32-52.

Any guidance woul be much appreciated?

cheers!

mo

You can try using DVDFab. It is very easy to use, is updated regularly, and works very well. You can download it and try the full program during the free trial period. After the free trial is over, you can still use the DVD decrypter part of the program for free for an unlimited period of time.

You can use DVDFab for conversion as well as decrypting. However, the conversion part of the program requires you to buy it after the free trial period is over.

great…ill try that program

Another set of programs many of us have success with is AnyDVD (or the DVD/blu-ray version called AnyDVDHD) along with CloneDVD2 from slysoft.com   They cost money, too, but they work well and are constantly kept up to date.  Be sure to download their free program called Virtual Clone Drive for running ISO files on your PC.  You need this program on any PC that you would want to view your converted DVDs on.

600 DVDs to convert?  OK, have fun – see ya in a few years!   :wink:

mike27oct wrote:

Be sure to download their free program called Virtual Clone Drive for running ISO files on your PC.  You need this program on any PC that you would want to view your converted DVDs on.

Or install VLC media player (free) which can read iso files directly with menu’s and chapters etc.

mike27oct wrote:

600 DVDs to convert?  OK, have fun – see ya in a few years!   :wink:

I converted 100+ DVDs and 30 BDs over the Christmas Holiday.   Took me roughly 18-20 hours, I’d guess.

I have four DVD drives and 1 BD drive.   They were all fairly warm by the end of each day…  :laughing:

what program did you use and what format did you convert to?

also can i just go with the WD live ??? any advantage of usinf the Hub?

@richUK

Or install VLC media player (free) which can read iso files directly with menu’s and chapters etc.

I did not know this!  I was always clicking on an ISO (which by default on my PC gets loaded by Virtual Clone Drive,) and then playing it from the virtual drive with VLC or WMP, or any other progam I have that can play it.  Guess we learn something new every day!  :smiley:

More info for my above comments:

Hmmm. it appears VLC can only open DVDs and not blu-ray ISO files.  Have to use my PowerDVD9 program for that. and this requires that I first load it into the Virtual Clone Drive (which mounts both DVD and blu-ray ISO files)   Since the price of the Virtual Clone Drive is “free”, suggest downloading it, too.

I only suggested VLC because the original poster was only converting DVD’s.

richUK wrote:
I only suggested VLC because the original poster was only converting DVD’s.

I’m not “complaining” I just passed on my observation.  Too bad VLC cannot handle blu-ray ISOs like it does DVDs.  And, again, thanks for the tip regarding VLC and DVD ISO files.

This free media player may be able to handle blu-ray.

http://www.vso-software.fr/products/vmp/vso-media-player.php

richUK wrote:
This free media player may be able to handle blu-ray.

http://www.vso-software.fr/products/vmp/vso-media-player.php

Looks interesting for those without any way to play blu-ray ISO.  One usually get a BD player with a blu-ray drive; I did with my Plextor external.  It came with CyberLink Powere DVD9, and when I load a BD ISO, the program plays it.

The site you link to above has quite a few free programs.  It appears they make their money by selling ancillary programs to “enhance” the free ones.  I see that VSO is a French company.

This company looks and smells a lot like the (Asian) Pavtube company at http://www.pavtube.com/   I have some of their programs; they work well and have a nice GUI.  I wonder if the two companies are in cahoots in some way or another, or perhaps they are just copying one another’s products.  Likely the latter