No writable partition found

I successfully backed up my Win 7 computer’s  hard drive to my new WD My Book 2TB External Hard Drive. Then I downloaded updates for that WD drive after being prompted. Nothing has been good since then. The latest is that WD SmartWare/Home says “No writable partition found” for the WD drive.

Hi seri_art, welcome to the WD community. Besides the Smartware message, can you access the My Book from the My Computer window? As a troubleshooting step, try connecting the My Book USB cable directly to the PC and the power cable directly to the wall. You can also try running a DLG test, follow the link below for the steps. 

How to test a drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows

After the computer was turned off for the night, then started up today, the drive works fine. I do know I restarted the computer after the ED software updates, so I guess this one will remain a mystery.that corrected inself.

I purchased an 8TB MyCloud Ultra EX2 to replace my old MyCloud which only ran on OS3. I did all the initialization steps and was ready to set up Smartware. On the screen which shows the Source and Target drive, the target drive shows a message that “no writable partition found” I have not found a way around this…