'No such interface supported' error when trying to install WD Discovery

Help please; I purchased a new My Passport 4T today and connected it to my HP Computer. The computer recognizes the drive as (L:) and I can see the files on the drive including WD Discovery.exe.

However, when I click on WD Discovery.exe I get the following message:

L:\WD Discovery\install WD Discovery Utilities.exe
No such interface supported.

I have searched the knowledge base and the community and don’t find an answer. I can access the drive to save files and create folders but I cannot get WD Discovery.exe to run.

I have also downloaded WD Discovery onto my computer but I still get the message ‘no such interface supported.’

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 on an HP H8-1280T with 10 GB of memory and an i7-3820 3.60 GHz processor

I have tried disabling my AVG antivirus software and have run Malwarebytes to check for viruses but nothing seems to work. I have never had this error message before today.

Does the USB 3.0 cable work with my 2.0 USB ports? Could that be the issue?

Thanks.

Do you have the same problem when trying to install any other application? From what i could find the error you are getting is typically related to an issue with some DLL files.

I haven’t seen this error before but I also haven’t installed many other applications lately. I did install new software for TomTom several days ago and didn’t have the problem.

drlucky,

I forgot that I have been having an issue with Windows Explorer. I thought it was solved but it came back again after I posted my reply to you.

Intermittently, Window Explorer will stop working and I get the message “Windows Explorer has stopped working” and also "Window is checking for a solution to the problem…

Of course Windows never finds a solution to the problem (or any other problem for that matter). This issue only shows up on certain folders such as Videos and also System Properties. Any other time I use Windows Explorer it works fine.

I don’t know if this is related to the “no such interface is supported” issue but thought I should mention it?

Hi JackB1

I hope the links below help:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-iewindows8_1/internet-explorer-11-no-such-interface-is/6879b706-84be-4f43-95b5-e328f1f5031e?auth=1

WD Software will not install, update, start or uninstall on a Windows PC: Windows: Software Will Not Install, Update, Start or Uninstall

Peter,

Sorry to take so long responding but I’ve been working with the Microsoft Community to try to resolve my other problem with Explorer.exe crashing; I hoped that if I solved one it might solve the other. But I did resolve the explorer issue by updating my video driver unfortunately it did not solve the update issue with WD Discovery.

I tried your first suggestion (IE11 update) but all my updates are current and although IE11 was crashing before it does not any more after the video driver update. But WD Discovery still returns the error message.

I also tried the second suggestion to use the Fixit tool and system file checker but no problems were found on file checker and the Fixit tool (install/uninstall troubleshooter) didn’t find WD Discovery to fix.

However, I tried downloading WD Drive Utilities instead of WD Discovery and that loaded and runs and finds my drive and checks it etc. However, I guess I still need WD Discovery and every time I try to start it or install it I still get the “no such interface supported” error.

I tried to install WD Discovery Utilities from the .exe file in the WD Discovery folder on my My Passport drive (the computer recognizes the drive) but I get the message ‘Failed to Install WD Discovery’.

I don’t understand why I can install WD Drive utilities and not WD Discovery utilities???

Jack

OK, I restarted my computer and tried to install WD Discovery Utilities from the .exe file within the WD Discovery folder on my My Passport drive and WD Discovery did install v 1.3.329.

However, the WD software in the icon tray says there is an update to WD Software and when I try to download the update I still get the ‘no such device supported’ error. In addition, the WD Discovery software says ‘No Connected Devices’ and my My Passport is connected and is recognized in Windows Explorer.

I guess if this can’t be solved I’ll have to return My Passport for a refund and I hate the idea of having to purchase another brand.

Jack

Peter,

By the way, here is a link to the Microsoft Community thread that helped my solve the Windows Explorer error.

I also wonder if I started this thread in the right place. I noticed that there is a section for Portable Drives?

Jack

Hello JackB1,

Maybe you should now try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en

Peter,

Contacting WD Tech Support was going to be my last option if I decided to keep My Passport. However, I was having so many other problems with my computer (some caused by me some not) that I decided to do a system recovery and reinstall Windows 7.

Fortunately, I have files backed up with a cloud service and I haven’t lost any files or data. I’m still reinstalling software but I have all of the software. I’m so happy now that the computer recognizes My Passport and WD Discovery runs and updates. I even completed a backup to My Passport this morning.

I just hope that My Passport will be there if I need it in the future. There seems to be quite a few questions about problems. But I have always favored Western Digital drives so I hope my faith will be confirmed.

Jack

Hi JackB1 ,

We appreciate your feedback and response. We’re glad that its working fine.

Thanks!