No storage present!

Hi there.

I bought a WD TV Live Streaming Media Player a few weeks ago and I was using an 8GB Kingston USB flash stick to watch movies. Everything was working perfectly fine until one day I had to make this stick bootable in order to format my computer and install Windows again. Since that time, every time I plug in the USB stick to the WD player I get the “No storage present” message.

I have formatted the USB either in NTFS or FAT32, but no luck! It’s not recognised anymore from the WD player. It works just fine when I plug it in the computer though. Can anyone help me?

The version of the player is 2.01.86.

Hi, you don’t say how you are ejecting the usb stick from your WD or your computer, but if you aren’t doing it correctly, it can set a “dirty” flag on the stick so it won’t show when you plug it into the WD.

Run the usb stick through an error check on your computer  (right clicking on the drive in explorer, select properties, select tools, click on check), even if there are no errors, it will reset the “dirty” flag. Use the “Safely Remove Hardware” function on your computer to eject the drive before pulling the stick out of the computer.

Hopefully WD will now recognise the stick. Use the Eject button on the WD remote (push eject, select drive, when green tick appears push OK) to eject the drive before removing the stick from the WD.

Hello again and thank you for the prompt response.

I was so certain that this would work, I tried it, but unfortunately the results are the same. No bloody storage present. It’s driving me nuts.

I always use the safely removal tool to eject the stick, whether it’s from the computer or the WD.

Any ideas??

How did you reformat the USB ?

I would delete primary partitions and then reformat in Windows (Control Panel)

Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management

failing that … google “USB format tools”

I suspect something funny going on when you made it a “Bootable” USB

1 Like

Unbelievable! I googled “USB format tools” and I downloaded a small format utility from Kingston’s website which did the job. After that it works fine again in the WD. Thanks a lot! I owe you! :slight_smile:

Joey gets a kudo for that reply!

my wd hard wen plug in computer present redy to use but not show in my computer

Google Translate must be on the Fritz … i did’nt understand a word of that :confounded:

JoeySmyth wrote:

Google Translate must be on the Fritz … i did’nt understand a word of that :confounded:

Joey, this one is easy to “translate” … my wd hard wen plug in computer present redy to use but not show in my computer

OP says when he plugs in his WD HD, his computer says it is present and ready to use, but the HD does not show up on his computer.

What *I* don’t understand is WHAT is he plugging the HD into – a WDTV, a computer, a toaster???