No sound with DTS and pass-through

hi… everybody.

I have an WD TV Live…

I’m wondering if is possible on a firmware update, able to control the audio output on the remote control…

just to keep out one more remote control, the surround remote control…

thanks…

Nope…

I have the same problem, this was working fine, then, one day it did not work anymore, I am not sure, but I think it might have been after I rolled back firmware?

I have the same problem! I just got a brand new WD TV Live unit, with whatever firmare it already has (I haven’t checked that one, but will post asap). It is not passing through the DTS signals to my latest Onkyo receiver (connected via HDMI) in the digital audio mode! When I switch to stereo it the downmixed audio channel is played fine on my receiver, but thats not the point is it.

The only question mark thing in my head was the cheap hmdi that I got, but then again another user on this thread has tried out all sorts of hmdi cables to no avail. Can anyone please confirm this?

Any solution/idea?

Thanks for this topic, I have a similar problem. 

I have wd tv live with latest firmware,  1.06.15_V and Logitech Z5500 sound system. I have recently bought a Samsung 46D7000. 

My problem is, the TV has optic out which I connect it with my Logitech Z5500 via optic cable. If I don’t use wd tv live and connect the hdd directly to the tv via usb and use internal media player of the tv, I get enough audio and video codec support, say for example, DTS etc. which I can mkv watch movies without a problem  and I can watch tv with my speaker set.

But I did not want to put away my wd tv live and connected wd tv live to my tv via hdmi, and of course, the hdd to my wd tv live. The problem is, in audio/video settings in wd tv live, I only have stereo, pass through with hdmi and pass through with optic choices. If I choose stereo, then the device says it will send the sound as PCM and I get the sound from my speaker when I watch a dts mkv movie. Of course in stereo sound format. But if I choose pass through with hdmi option, whichever sub codecs I choose, I can not get dts sound from sound system. If I watch a regular divx file witohut dts or ac3, I can get sound, no problem. But I get no sound from DTS MKV files.

Therefore I am confused. I don’t know if it’s the wd tv live which does not  send the dts sound properly to my tv or if it’s the tv which does not send the dts to my sound system after it takes it ok from the wd tv live. 

One clue though; I have checked the manual of my tv and came into this small explanation : “When the receiver (i.e Home Theatre) is set to On, you can hear sound  output from the TV’s Optical jack. When the TV is displaying a DTV (Aerial) signal, the TV will send out 5.1 channel sound to the receiver. When the source is a digital component such as a DVD and is connected to the TV via HDMI, only 2 channel sound will be heard from the receiver.” 

So what do you think?

Regards.  

aegeus wrote:

Therefore I am confused. I don’t know if it’s the wd tv live which does not  send the dts sound properly to my tv or if it’s the tv which does not send the dts to my sound system after it takes it ok from the wd tv live. 

One clue though; I have checked the manual of my tv and came into this small explanation : “When the receiver (i.e Home Theatre) is set to On, you can hear sound  output from the TV’s Optical jack. When the TV is displaying a DTV (Aerial) signal, the TV will send out 5.1 channel sound to the receiver. When the source is a digital component such as a DVD and is connected to the TV via HDMI, only 2 channel sound will be heard from the receiver.” 

So what do you think?

Regards.  

Yep;  that’s pretty common.   TV’s don’t “Pass Through” the audio that comes in via HDMI to the optical port.

Has anyone found the fix yet? I think I did.I didscovered this whenmy Youtube wasn’t playing.

This might help:

On setup: Choose ‘HDMI Pass-through’, choose ‘Custom’, when the audio checklist box come up, UNCHECK all of it, yep, DO NOT select any of the audios to play.

Try it out.

1 Like

Anyword on a  pass through fix,  part of the reason i bought this thing was to has DTS with MKV files. The uncheck suggestion doesn’t work here

iceman_ca wrote:

Anyword on a  pass through fix,  part of the reason i bought this thing was to has DTS with MKV files. The uncheck suggestion doesn’t work here

No, there’s nothing to fix.   If your TV doesn’t support DTS passthrough, then there’s nothing the WD can do about it.

I am not going to my TV, I am going directly to my AVR … It supports DTS … and it not revieng a digital audio signal.  The bypass doesn’t work on HDMI or optical out. I  have tried both, The reciever accepts 5 HDMI and 3 opitcal ins. I have tried several different postions, yes the all work on my PS3, and my DVD player. The reciever is not the issue, the WD box is.

Yes my HK AVR can decode what ever i throw at it. Yes it was previously working. Yes I have manually tried seting trhings up vs the auto mode. The set up is based on page 18 of the Users manual. I have been around AV equipment for over 25 years, I do know how to hook things up. The only working mode is stereo, and not DTS. 

It is quite appearent there is a bug, which was supoose to be fixed with this firmware release, or so the list of fixes stated. “fix no sound issue on certain MKV files”

There is something to fix, it is advertised as providing digital sound and it does not. That is a MAJOR bug, and WD can do something about it.

[Deleted] answers by a Honored Contributor only serve to fuel the frustration

…then one would think you’d be smart enough to see that the original thread, being almost 4 months old, has had no further comments since even before the firmware was released…

…and the individual who resurrected the thread had a totally unrelated problem, and you piggybacked (and even referenced the workaround for that unrelated issue) without providing any further context…

… And then you refer to a release note that has NO bearing AT ALL on your issue, and you call ME the [Deleted] That’s rich… :wink:

Regardless of the age of the thread the issue still exists and has not been addressed. Yes some of the postings are older, but some are still quite recent. For the most part the thread is relevant , and I have read it completely.  I tried the suggestion of checking off the maunal items just to cover all basess. The issue still remains,and the problem has not been corrected in the latest FW even though WD states it has.

Perhaps there is a link or a suggestion on how to fix, or least workaround the issue.I have looked and  I haven’t been able to find it. I would think this type of info would be  valid response from a Honored Contributor.

Fix the problem instead of burying your head WD. Have a actual rep from the company say there is an issue.

Watch out Tony the wind must be pretty smelly following that close, health warning toxic gases