No sound when playing DVD Vobs

I’ve got several DVDs ripped to a hard drive. I’ve tried playing them on my WD TV Live Plus, but they don’t play with sound. Actually, it sounds like they are only playing with the LFE channel and the rest of the channels are not playing. I know my sound setup is correct as I can play MKVs with 5.1 channel AC3 audio and everything is fine. I am using HDMI, but I tried hooking up optical and it made no difference. My stock firmware was 1.03.29. I’ve also tried 1.03.43. They both have the same problem. Is this a known problem or am I doing something wrong?

Sounds like you’re doing something wrong.

How are you ripping the DVD’s to your HD?

I use an app on my Macbook called RipIt that makes full copies. The Vobs play fine with 5.1 audio everywhere else I’ve tried them.

I can’t explain why you’re only getting LFE.   That just makes no sense.

I’ve commonly played all manner of DD5.1 and DTS5.1 tracks in DVDs with no issues at all.

My HDMI is connected to an AVR and it’s always showing the correct format…

Just for giggles, try using an ISO instead of VOBs.

That’s the weird thing… my AVR is showing that it is receiving a DD 5.1 stream. It just doesn’t play anything. I guess I’ll try ripping a disc with a windows ripper and see if it works correctly. What do you use?

I used DVDFab.    You can try it out free for a month, I think.

Do NOT use its default settings.

I wish I had a screen-shot of my settings, but I just remember these:

Set the output to DVD9, or it will compress the DVD ISO.

There’s another setting, something like “Remove annoying PGC’s (FBI Warnings)” I UNCHECK that.

I want EVERYTHING; what it considers annoying are often important things like animated menu transitions and stuff…

Thanks, I’ll give it a try tonight and report back.

I think my WD TV is defective. I tried a DVD ripped with DVDFab and it did the same thing. Also, now my MKVs won’t play sound either. In fact, I can’t get any sound from anything now.

This can happen if you play a “bad” MKV file (one made with MKVMerge greater than 4.0).  All files will then not have any sound.

To fix, reset the Live and unplug from power for at least 10 minutes.  Then try playing a file which is NOT an MKV file.  If it plays with sound you know what the problem is (the fix is to not play these bad files – you can remux them with the earlier version of MKVMerge, but in general it’s always best to play files you master or buy yourself).

To test the DVD problem, take your DVD and run it through Handbrake, using the High Profile but output to an MKV file.  This is the Gold Standard.  If this plays then your Live is just fine (and it will play).

I don’t think this is the case as my sound quit working when I tried to play a DVD. I just did a reset and unplugged for 15 minutes to test it though. Still no sound. I used one of the mp4 files that was on the included CD so I know I didn’t use a bad vid.

Does the reset button actually do anything? The manual says holding it for 1 second resets to factory, but when I do that I don’t get any change that I can see.

I know you said it used to work, but just to make sure, I would double check your audio settings in the setup screens.

I can’t imagine how a hardware defect would pass only LFE signals and not the others, and certainly not how it would only affect VOBs (as you said initially.)  

Also, try the analog outputs and set it to STEREO and see if that works.

ToBeFrank wrote:

I don’t think this is the case as my sound quit working when I tried to play a DVD. I just did a reset and unplugged for 15 minutes to test it though. Still no sound. I used one of the mp4 files that was on the included CD so I know I didn’t use a bad vid.

Does the reset button actually do anything? The manual says holding it for 1 second resets to factory, but when I do that I don’t get any change that I can see.

I assume that you are using a paperclip to reset via the side hole. Leave the WDTV on and press the paperclip button for a second. The WDTV should then reboot and reset.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

I know you said it used to work, but just to make sure, I would double check your audio settings in the setup screens.

I can’t imagine how a hardware defect would pass only LFE signals and not the others, and certainly not how it would only affect VOBs (as you said initially.)  

Also, try the analog outputs and set it to STEREO and see if that works.

Trust me, I’ve gone over my settings enough times that I’m ready to throw this thing against the wall. I agree that it’s probably not a hardware defect. More likely the software is in some sort of state that I can’t get it out of. I suspect my reset problem detailed in my next post has to do with it. If I set it to stereo and hook up the composites to my tv, I get sound.

richUK wrote:

I assume that you are using a paperclip to reset via the side hole. Leave the WDTV on and press the paperclip button for a second. The WDTV should then reboot and reset.

That’s what I thought it would do, but mine doesn’t do that. It doesn’t do anything when I press the reset button.

I’m at work so I can’t verify, but I’m pretty sure I got it figured out… and yes, I’m an ■■■■■! It initially worked because I hooked it up and manually set all my components to the correct inputs, etc. to test it out. I then integrated it into my Harmony remote. However, I forgot to add the command to the Harmony sequence that turns on my external amp. Thus, when I switch to the “Watch WD TV” activity, my amp gets turned off. The sub doesn’t go through the amp which explains why I still get that. Thank god I thought about this because I have the WD in my truck ready to be returned today. I’ll bet tonight I’ll have it up and running just fine!

Please let us know how this turns out!  :)

Yep, works great when you turn the amp on!

:smileyvery-happy: