No sound through HDMI

Hey!

I just got my WD TV Live last Thursday. Hook it up to my TV through HDMI and the picture is no problem. However, I get no sound! Doesn’t matter if I choose Stereo or Digital in the settings. Upgraded to the last firmware without problems.

I am now running it through component and RCA-kables for the sound, but would of course prefer running HDMI, both for simplicity of cabling.

The WD TV Live is a replacement for my Freecom Mediaplayer 450 which I also hooked up to my TV through HDMI, and never had a problem with the sound!

Does anyone have any idea what this problem is, and how it can be solved? Thanx a lot!

That’s either a bad WD TV Live, something wonky in your TV’s audio settings, or a handshake issue between the two devices that (most likely) won’t be fixed anytime soon.

Suggest:

1.  Test that HDMI audio is working out of the box (if you don’t have any other HDMI TVs or an HDMI receiver, then take it to a friend’s house).

2.  If you confirm the WD TV Live can output audio over HDMI, start exploring the audio settings on your TV.

3.  Do a web search using “WD TV Live” and your TV’s model number to see if anyone else is reporting compatibility problems.

4.  Try powering on the TV first then the WD.  Do the opposite, also.

5.  Turn everything on.  Start a video playing.  Turn off the TV.  Wait a bit.  Turn the TV back on.

Did you try changing the sound setting from “Stereo” to “Digital” ?

This sounds like an incompatible HDMI cable. HDMI is less standard than most cable types and different manufactuers have slight differences that may make them not work on some devices.

If you need an HDMI cable you know works with the WD TV see the link below:

http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus/en_US/AddItemToRequisition/ThemeID.1300400/productID.116752200

I state in the first post that I have tried both with the same result…

This seems very strange, as there was no problem whatsoever with the very same HDMI-cable when I used it with the Freecom-player…

I will try it with a different TV tomorrow!

I use it with a kind of odd TV (37" full HD from the well known brand “AMOI” :wink:) and there aren’t too many fancy settings in it and I doubt that I will find anyone else with the same TV and a WD TV Live… I’ll google it though, and see if I find anything!

Try changing the SETTINGS (WDTVLive configuration) and change the audio output from Stereo to Digital?

Hello nCoder!

First of all, I state in my first post that I have tried both.

Second, I already replied to this question from you higher up in this thread.

Third. Hello nCoder, I have already tried this, and the result is the same. Thank you for your suggestion and willingness to help though! :wink:

OOps :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry dude. I didn’t notice you replied already :slight_smile:

Good luck with your sound problem then :wink:

No worries mate, and thanx!

What the audio codec in the video file? Also is it only one file or all of your videos that play without sound?

It’s the same problem with .mkv, .iso, .avi and .mp3 files…

Well, since HDMI audio works fine for me, I can only guess 3 things here:

1. Check your TV’s audio settings.

2. Check your HDMI cable.

3. WDTV Live has old firmware.

Try upgrading to the latest (.11) via internet or try downloading from the web and upgrade using USB stick. If you have the latest and still have issues, then try using the same HDMI cable with a different TV and see if its an issue with your TV audio settings. If it’s still the same, get a new HDMI cable. If everything fails, time to get an exchange :slight_smile:

Goodluck.

Hi sorry to say that i cant help you - have the same problem !!!

got my device a week ago evry thing was working fine - connected via HDMI

today i have no sound on - dosent matter what i play - you tube - mp3 - movies

i have made a support ticket an awaiting answer from them - if the dont return with a answer in 2 days i`m just gonna return the unit and get my money back.

brgds

gos

I have the same problem.  However, every once-in-a-while I can get some sound.  I have posted my results on my blog here.  http://idoneitmyself.wordpress.com/2010/07/31/no-hdmi-sound-from-wd-tv-live-plus-hd-media-player-on-lg-42pc3-dv/

My feeling is that there is some firmware issue that is causing this.  I need to try it on another TV, but since it works some times, I don’t know what that would prove…a partial incompatibility?

I have the same problem.  However, every once-in-a-while I can get some sound.  I have posted my results on my blog here.  http://idoneitmyself.wordpress.com/2010/07/31/no-hdmi-sound-from-wd-tv-live-plus-hd-media-player-on-…

My feeling is that there is some firmware issue that is causing this.  I need to try it on another TV, but since it works some times, I don’t know what that would prove…a partial incompatibility?

There are some problems with this unit and certain LG TV’s. There is no beta firmware for the WDTV Live plus.