No sound? Need help, please

Hi Guys,

My name is KB. I am a new member here. I just purchased the latest WD Live TV streamer ( the newest one, latest firmware). I have it hooked up via HDMI to my TV/Receiver, and it is a wired connection. 

I can play most movies just fine, so far it has played anything I threw at it. Until 2 days ago. I downloaded Iron Man 2 and it seems no matter what format It Is In, It plays with no sound. The first one I attempted to play was an ISO file. I head this streamer could play that, and it did play the video just fine, but no audio. Anyway, since I wasn’t sure I downloaded a new different copy. This time I downloaded an MP4. The MediaInfo txt is quite large, and I do not know about forum rules on linking, so I will just copy and paste it here:

General
Complete name                    : \KBSMEDIACENTER\Public\Shared Videos\Movies\Iron Man 2 2010 BRip 720p DXVA\Iron Man 2.mp4
Format                           : MPEG-4
Format profile                   : Base Media
Codec ID                         : isom
File size                        : 2.19 GiB
Duration                         : 2h 7mn
Overall bit rate mode            : Variable
Overall bit rate                 : 2 456 Kbps
Encoded date                     : UTC 2011-11-21 02:17:44
Tagged date                      : UTC 2011-11-21 02:17:44

Video
ID                               : 1
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames        : 4 frames
Codec ID                         : avc1
Codec ID/Info                    : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate                         : 2 133 Kbps
Maximum bit rate                 : 13.5 Mbps
Width                            : 1 264 pixels
Height                           : 544 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 2.35:1
Frame rate mode                  : Constant
Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps
Color space                      : YUV
Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Scan type                        : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.129
Stream size                      : 1.90 GiB (87%)
Writing library                  : x264 core 119 r2106 07efeb4
Encoding settings                : cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:-1:-1 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=2133 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=50000 / vbv_bufsize=50000 / nal_hrd=none / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Encoded date                     : UTC 2011-11-21 02:17:44
Tagged date                      : UTC 2011-11-21 02:21:05

Audio
ID                               : 2
Format                           : AAC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile                   : LC
Codec ID                         : 40
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Bit rate                         : 320 Kbps
Maximum bit rate                 : 333 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 6 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode                 : Lossy
Stream size                      : 291 MiB (13%)
Encoded date                     : UTC 2011-11-21 02:20:49
Tagged date                      : UTC 2011-11-21 02:21:05

So is there anything I try to get this to play or am I just crapped out with playing Iron Man 2? I should also mention as well as lack of sound, it played very choppy with the MP4, and I have a wired connection on a 22+mbps home network.

Also, It seems everytime I turn my streamer on, it begins to compile my media library. If I leave it for a while to do so, and come back, and the screen saver is on and I attempt to hit a button the streamer will freeze and I have to hard restart it by unplugging the device. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong here?

I appreciate any and all help and suggestions, thanks in advance for your help and time. :slight_smile:

KB

Other than a quick remuxing there’s not much I can suggest… The file looks clean but since it was actually downloaded there’s no real way to tell where the problem is… Try a full re-encoding using MKVmerge and see if it helps.

Try to downgrade the firmware from this link below:

http://download.wdc.com/wdtv/wdtvlivegen3_1.03.10.zip

Just Edit the file wdtvlivegen3.ver found in this package file to look like this

VERSION=‘2.03.10’

LOCATION=‘wdtvlivegen3.bin’

PKG_LOCATION=‘wdtvlivegen3.pkg’

ROOTFS2=‘’

and save the file along with the rest of the FW package in the USB stick and Plug the USB stick into the media player, it will notify a new firmware is available and “Downgrade” thinking that it is upgrading.

Do a Factory reset if you still have problems.

EDIT:

Oops!  :neutral_face: I read that WD have taken out the option to rollback 

I just read in the other forums that WD has disabled the rollback options as there could be potential issues, 

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/

If you are doing this steps anyway, Do it at your own risk.

Good Luck!

Can you explain to me why I would be doing this?

I do not like to just blindly follow instructions. Thankyou.

You are correct, I was just suggesting to downgrade firmware which in the past has corrected problems, But after reading my own post and reading the offical announcement I have edited my reply, Please see edited response above.

Ahh ok. It would appear the Reset has helped.

Curious, could the fact that it was so busy compiling my media it just couldnt process the playing of such a large file? or any file for that matter. I do have a couple of other questions if you could help me that would be awesome.

When playing media off of my WD My Book Live and my Windows Laptop, what would be the best option to choose? Network share, Media Server, ect? ( the content selection choices when choosing files, videos, pictures,ect. )

Thank you again in advance! :slight_smile:

Sorry for the late reply - My choice would be “Network share”