No Search Bar

I purchased a 3tb my cloud, that can be a wireless device, but it do not have  a search bar;

I spent $250.00 for something, that has great capabilities, but you have to pull up the search bar on your own computer,

or device. If a product has that much storage, it should have it’s own search bar.

Also when I had my cloud, plugged in not wireless, my audio player would not work directly on the cloud player.

Again, i had to go through my computer.  The price for this item is overrated.

I can use my thumb drive, and get far more better results.

1 Like

Hi there and welcome to the WD community.

What audio player were you trying to use with the My Cloud device and exactly how were you trying to use it ? Was it on your phone or a different device ?

I spent $250.00 for something, that has great capabilities, but you have to pull up the search bar on your own computer,

or device. If a product has that much storage, it should have it’s own search bar.

The MyCloud is essentially a disk drive, mapped into your file system.

Do other disk drives have search bars?  No.

Does your thumb drive have a search bar?  No.

I don’t see why you think the MyCloud should have search facilities.

Where should this ‘search bar’ be located?  How are you going to access it if you don’t use ‘your own computer’?

Also when I had my cloud, plugged in not wireless, my audio player would not work directly on the cloud player.

MyCloud plugged in where?  What audio player?

If you want us to help, you’ll have to express yourself more clearly, and give more detail.

I’d recommend reading the user manual, and the following FAQs, as you seem to misunderstand what the MyCloud is, and how it works:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/WD-Frequently-asked-questions/td-p/868956

alsplace wrote:

I purchased a 3tb my cloud, that can be a wireless device, but it do not have  a search bar;

Respectfully, I think you have a misconception about this device. WD My Cloud has NO wireless capability…

If you connect the MC to a router that has wireless then you will be able to access the MC using a computer connected to the router.

In the dashboard, if you have 400 shares, and you need to modify the 10th share in the list, you need a search bar because the dashboard opens to number 400.  Also, people who are not as savvy about the process may not know they can search in other ways.  They could at least put that somewhere up front.  The name of the game is to attract customers by being user-friendly.  Not by playing knowledge brinksmanship.  Any manufacturer that doesn’t know that, won’t last.  Finally, people come to the community for help, explanations don’t have to be cheeky.

The MyCloud is a consumer device. Top-level shares are generally created one per user. This suggests you have 400 users, which is well into ‘professional use’.

If you are using shares for some other purpose such as a flat folder hierarchy, then I would recommend you adopt a ‘divide and conquer’ hierarchical file structure instead.

As for your comment about ‘cheeky’ replies, well, it can get wearing to keep answering questions from people who haven’t bothered to read the manual, or use Google.

First, let me inform you that I am not interested in an ego contest, so this is not the beginning of a back-and-forth.

Second, Unless you are a bona-fide representative of the company, it is not your concern to dictate policy or comment about how people use a product they paid for.  You have no way of knowing how people’s systems are set up, therefore, your suggestions or, assumptions have no merit, in that regard.  We all know about assumptions.  Or, perhaps, in your rush to “punch down”, the idea of a hypothetical situation to illustrate a point escaped you, in this instance.

Third, a community is set up for mutual, civil assistance between users, something sponsors should ensure.  People come to get solutions, not to be preached to.  Company sponsored communities should benefit the company by relieving stress on their internal support; foster good CRM by providing a benefit to their customers; and provide feedback to improve their product.  These things work well if customers feel comfortable using the service.  If they need to worry about trolls, the system does not work.

Finally, this is a reflection on the company’s management, if they allow their reputation to be controlled by said trolls, or inattentive webmasters who allow or contribute to such browbeating of their customers.  Unless the company doesn’t consider their customers an asset.  What is a company without customers?  Do not product reviews cover how one is treated, as well as the product? 

You have no way of knowing what efforts were made by people before consulting the community.  Even people who have made no attempt, have as much right to be here as you.  Last I heard, Google is not a subsidiary of Western Digital.  Therefore, though they may appreciate the traffic, I don’t think they consider themselves responsible for WD making clear, concise information available.  Or, are you saying that once the customer pays, WD’s interest and responsibility to them ends?  Let us know, so we’ll be better informed for our next purchase.  Perhaps WD should put more effort into making sure their products are more user-friendly. 

If you feel that you know so much, that other people’s questions are such an annoyance, why do you bother to haunt the community?  One would think you were here because you wished to help those less fortunate than you.  If so, where did it begin to become a chore?  You have the power to educate.  Teach people how you think the web should be, don’t beat them up.  That way you shape the future of the web. If you don’t agree, why not seek a venue where the talents of people you interact with are on par with yours?  You could even start a community for advanced users, “Idiots need not apply…”  You are, obviously a talented individual, remember, with great power, comes great responsibility.