No output from Live + on analog TV

Recently I RMAd a WD Live and I just noticed they returned a “+”.  When I hook it up the my digital Sony it seems OK but when I hook it up to an older Panasonic CRT type TV I get no display at all out of the component ports and the composite ports produce a broken up display that looks like when pictures used to roll.  I hope I’m not dating myself here.:smiley:  I’ve tried all available ports with no joy.  Anybody know what’s going on?

It may be that the system is incorrect. Press the reset button on the side for over 10 seconds, and then release, with the composite cable connected and the unit fully booted up. That should change the unit from PAL to NTSC or vice versa.

1 Like

richUK wrote:

It may be that the system is incorrect. Press the reset button on the side for over 10 seconds, and then release, with the composite cable connected and the unit fully booted up. That should change the unit from PAL to NTSC or vice versa.

If it were in PAL mode it wouldn’t play on my Sony.

ram1009 wrote:

richUK wrote:

Are you saying that you used the composite output on your Sony. I assumed that you used HDMI on your Sony and you are now using the composite on the Panasonic. HDMI has nothing to do with PAL / NTSC but composite has and the display you get currently could be due the incorrect system. Its only a suggestion and it may not work but it only takes 10 seconds to try and 10 seconds to switch back if it does not work.

1 Like

richUK wrote:

ram1009 wrote:

richUK wrote:

Are you saying that you used the composite output on your Sony. I assumed that you used HDMI on your Sony and you are now using the composite on the Panasonic. HDMI has nothing to do with PAL / NTSC but composite has and the display you get currently could be due the incorrect system. Its only a suggestion and it may not work but it only takes 10 seconds to try and 10 seconds to switch back if it does not work.

I’m glad one of us is paying attention to  what I’m doing.  :smiley:  I had forgotten that I had used the HDMI cable for the Sony.  Pushing the button allows me to view from the composite port but not from the component.  I can live with it but I hate equipment that only half works.  Any ideas?

Can you hook up via composite AND component, then whilst in composite mode change the settings to output Component?  Apologies if you’ve already tried this, it’s not clear from the thread.  :)

PixelPower wrote:

Can you hook up via composite AND component, then whilst in composite mode change the settings to output Component?  Apologies if you’ve already tried this, it’s not clear from the thread.  :)

Doesn’t help.  Even with the internal setting on component the only display I  get is on composite.

As unlikely as it seems I’ve concluded that both component ports on my Panasonic are bad.  I have a ROKU player and hooked up to one set and nothing.  Certainly seems strange.

ram1009 wrote:

As unlikely as it seems I’ve concluded that both component ports on my Panasonic are bad.  I have a ROKU player and hooked up to one set and nothing.  Certainly seems strange.

Are you sure its not your lead?

richUK wrote:

ram1009 wrote:

Are you sure its not your lead?

I’ve tried two different sets of cables.

Remember…  The WD’s ONLY send 480-PROGRESSIVE or HIGHER.    If your Panny doesn’t support that, you won’t get proper video. 

Some older TVs only supported 480-INTERLACED on component.

Is that a possibility?

1 Like

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Remember…  The WD’s ONLY send 480-PROGRESSIVE or HIGHER.    If your Panny doesn’t support that, you won’t get proper video. 

Some older TVs only supported 480-INTERLACED on component.

Is that a possibility?

It’s possible.  I’ll look it up when I get home, however it isn’t more than 5 years old.  One of the last CRTs.  They even advertised it as “digital ready”.  What BS.

EDIT:   Well, Tony you were almost right.  It turns out this Panasonic supports only 480p & 1080i on the comp ports.  What a strange combination of inputs.  I set it on 1080i and it’s playing fine as I write.  Thanks again.

Can you please by so kind to inform me step-by step how can i connect with scart or via cables( my tv has red white and yellow jacks) my wd live to a crt tv?

all i get is blank picture and i am gettin frustrated

My warmest regards and thank you in advance

dpap40 wrote:

Can you please by so kind to inform me step-by step how can i connect with scart or via cables( my tv has red white and yellow jacks) my wd live to a crt tv?

First of all you must use the cable that came with the WDTV. Plug the lead into the socket marked AV out (rear of wdtv) and then plug the yellow jack (video out) into the yellow socket on  the TV. Now plug the red jack (audio out) into the red socket on the TV and the white jack (audio out) into the white socket on the TV. You now have composite output set up. You then need to switch yout TV to the AV / composite input. You should now see the WDTV menu.

richUK wrote:

dpap40 wrote:

First of all you must use the cable that came with the WDTV. Plug the lead into the socket marked AV out (rear of wdtv) and then plug the yellow jack (video out) into the yellow socket on  the TV. Now plug the red jack (audio out) into the red socket on the TV and the white jack (audio out) into the white socket on the TV. You now have composite output set up. You then need to switch yout TV to the AV / composite input. You should now see the WDTV menu.

richUK is completely accurate however there are a couple of things I’d like to add.  You may need to reset your player to NTSC or PAL, whichever is used in your locale.  If you follow the above hookup procedure and still get no picture toggle the system to the opposite format by pushing the reset button for at least 10 seconds.  You can toggle it back the same way.  The reset button is located inside of a tiny hole next to the USB port on the side of the box.  Also, you need to check the documentation on your analog TV.  The composite ports you are using may require a specific resolution to be set in your setup procedure.   And finally, my advice is to NOT update your firmware.    Let us know how you do.