No network connection after a reboot sometimes

Right, i think i agree with you. 

For the “re-issue part” If the WD drive was indeed stuck at getting a lease after a reboot of the WD, due to an issue at the rotuer end, then a router reboot should have cleared that up as i would WD to keep requeting a lease and after a router reboot if would get that. 

However as it still doesnt get a lease even after a router reboot, i believe that the WD is in a state where the OS has stalled or something related to its networking software has crapped out/stopped requesting an IP address from the router etc…

That being said, now with a static lease on the router side and also setting up the WD for staic IP and not DHCP, i cannot seem to replicate the problem anymore

UPDATE: After 45 mins of my previous post. The drive lost network connectivity. I cannot reach it anymore! The issue occured without a reboot. This is exaclty what i had mentioned above. This is one of those issue that plagues other users also.

Now to be fully transparent. I have transmission installed on this drive. When it lost network connectivity, it was in the middle of downloading about 4 torrent tv shows. Now is that a coincident? i would think so. Because back in the past, the drive would get this issue in the middle of the night when there is zero activity on it.

I dont know what to make of this. However I would expect my script to kick in this case and reboot the drive eventually… Will find out as i’ve never had to test the script in this manner when the drive just simply becomes unreachable…

Im 100% sure now that its not transmissoin or load on the drive causing this. During the last occurence when the drive became unreachable by itself, i left it as is for a few hours hoping that the my cron job script would kick in and reboot the drive, IT DIDNT.

So either in this case, the drive itself CAN ping its own IP address along with the router IP address thus preventing the script from rebooting the drive or the entire OS has kernel panicked or something preventing the script from running.

I will set the drive itself to DHCP again and keep using static IP from the router side, At least with that the drive remains reachble most of the time.

NOTE that i’ve around6 WD drives over the past 6 months, they were being RMA’ed by WD for other reasons and they all had problem every now and then. So its not this particluar drive itself. Over that period i’ve had three different high end routers so those cannot be the cause also.

Clueless!!!

I may have been lucky, in that I’ve never lost contact with my MyCloud.  But, just in case it’s down to the way I configure IP addresses in my network, here’s what I do, which seems similar to what Ralphael has found:

http://www.community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Call-me-maybe-WD-Connectivity-Issues/m-p/881608

Just to ensure it’s not network related if you have already confirmed trying to connect from a few devices, temporarily do up some local logging.

Chunk out timestamps and top details every other seconds to a rotating date based log file placed on your data partition. Use the nas as per normal don’t disable anything. When the issue happens again or if you think you could trigger it, let it be for 1-2 hours, restart and review the generated logs. Note any irregularities on the timestamps and I’m sure you’ll find useful hint such as cpu/ram process usage and especially iowait.

So anther update. I had improved my script further so that does a few checks.

1-Ping the NAS itself,

2- Ping the router,

3- Check if local port 80(http) or 22(ssh) are responding. 

If any of the checks fail, reboot the drive. The script itself works!!

Yesterday my drive went into the limbo state again, solid blue light, the IP stayed pingable(i dont know for how long)

no ssh, no http(dashabord) etc…

I left it like that for 12 hours. During that time my script would have run few times via cron.

Eventually the drive never rebooted, so i power cycled it manually next day. Looked at the cron log and noticed that my cronjob(s) never triggered during that period. I have few scripts setup in cron but none of them ran.

So I can 100% confirm that this is an OS lever issue where the OS just crashes and the drive is not able to recover it self.

UPDATE. One thing i notice is that even though there are several cron jobs that run every day, even the WD default ones, in the “cron.log” file im missing an entire day, yesterday JUL 15. Note that my drive only crashed at about 8PM EST but there are no cron entries for all of JULY 15…

i power cycled the drive today in the morning, July 16 7:58 am EST. Could it be a NTP issue? The date/time are always good on thr drive.

ul 13 23:15:01 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[23195]: (root) CMD (command -v debian-sa1 > /dev/null && debian-sa1 1 1)
Jul 13 23:20:01 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[23386]: (root) CMD ( /shares/data/Drivers/scripts/wdmc_start.sh)
Jul 13 23:20:01 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[23387]: (root) CMD ([! -f /tmp/standby] && /usr/local/sbin/monitorSmartStatus.sh )
Jul 13 23:20:10 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[23384]: (CRON) info (No MTA installed, discarding output)
Jul 13 23:25:01 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[23728]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Jul 13 23:25:01 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[23729]: (root) CMD (command -v debian-sa1 > /dev/null && debian-sa1 1 1)
Jul 13 23:25:01 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[23730]: (root) CMD ( /shares/data/Drivers/scripts/re_nice.sh)
“cron.log” 517L, 65056C
Jul 14 22:35:01 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[25732]: (root) CMD (command -v debian-sa1 > /dev/null && debian-sa1 1 1)
Jul 14 22:39:01 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[25938]: (root) CMD ( [! -f /tmp/standby] && [-x /usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime] && [-d /var/lib/php5] && find /var/lib/php5/ -type f -cmin +$(/usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime) -print0 | xargs -n 200 -r -0 rm)
Jul 14 22:40:01 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[26013]: (root) CMD ([! -f /tmp/standby] && /usr/local/sbin/monitorSmartStatus.sh )
Jul 14 22:45:01 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[26395]: (root) CMD (command -v debian-sa1 > /dev/null && debian-sa1 1 1)
Jul 14 22:55:01 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[27061]: (root) CMD (command -v debian-sa1 > /dev/null && debian-sa1 1 1)
Jul 14 23:00:01 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[27420]: (root) CMD ([! -f /tmp/standby] && /usr/local/sbin/userDataRAIDMonitor.sh)
Jul 14 23:00:01 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[27421]: (root) CMD ([! -f /tmp/standby] && /usr/local/sbin/monitorSmartStatus.sh )
Jul 14 23:00:01 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[27422]: (root) CMD ([! -f /tmp/standby] && /usr/local/sbin/monitorVolume.sh)
Jul 14 23:00:02 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[27417]: (CRON) info (No MTA installed, discarding output)
Jul 14 23:05:01 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[27869]: (root) CMD (command -v debian-sa1 > /dev/null && debian-sa1 1 1)
Jul 14 23:09:01 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[28181]: (root) CMD ( [! -f /tmp/standby] && [-x /usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime] && [-d /var/lib/php5] && find /var/lib/php5/ -type f -cmin +$(/usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime) -print0 | xargs -n 200 -r -0 rm)
Jul 14 23:15:01 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[28559]: (root) CMD (command -v debian-sa1 > /dev/null && debian-sa1 1 1)
Jul 14 23:20:01 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[28748]: (root) CMD ([! -f /tmp/standby] && /usr/local/sbin/monitorSmartStatus.sh )
Jul 14 23:25:01 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[28935]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Jul 14 23:25:01 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[28936]: (root) CMD (command -v debian-sa1 > /dev/null && debian-sa1 1 1)
Jul 14 23:26:02 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[28977]: (root) CMD (test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.daily ))
Jul 14 23:26:03 nas1 cracklib: no dictionary update necessary.
Jul 16 07:58:26 nas1 /usr/sbin/cron[6561]: (CRON) INFO (pidfile fd = 3)
Jul 16 07:58:26 nas1 /usr/sbin/cron[6562]: (CRON) STARTUP (fork ok)
Jul 16 07:58:26 nas1 /usr/sbin/cron[6562]: (CRON) INFO (Running @reboot jobs)
Jul 16 07:58:26 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[6583]: (root) CMD (/usr/local/sbin/monitorVolume.sh)
Jul 16 07:58:26 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[6582]: (root) CMD (/usr/local/sbin/20-checkRAID.sh reboot)
Jul 16 07:58:26 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[6580]: (root) CMD (/usr/local/bin/transmission-daemon)
Jul 16 07:58:26 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[6581]: (root) CMD ([! -f /tmp/standby] && /usr/local/sbin/userDataRAIDMonitor.sh)
Jul 16 07:58:29 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[6568]: (CRON) info (No MTA installed, discarding output)
Jul 16 08:00:01 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[7045]: (root) CMD ([! -f /tmp/standby] && /usr/local/sbin/monitorVolume.sh)
Jul 16 08:00:01 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[7046]: (root) CMD ([! -f /tmp/standby] && /usr/local/sbin/userDataRAIDMonitor.sh)
Jul 16 08:00:01 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[7044]: (root) CMD ([! -f /tmp/standby] && /usr/local/sbin/monitorSmartStatus.sh )
Jul 16 08:00:03 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[7041]: (CRON) info (No MTA installed, discarding output)
Jul 16 08:02:01 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[7362]: (root) CMD ([! -f /tmp/standby] && /usr/local/sbin/rotateLogs.sh)
Jul 16 08:02:01 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[7363]: (root) CMD ([! -f /tmp/standby] && /etc/init.d/saveclock.sh reload)
Jul 16 08:02:02 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[7360]: (CRON) info (No MTA installed, discarding output)
Jul 16 08:05:01 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[7606]: (root) CMD (command -v debian-sa1 > /dev/null && debian-sa1 1 1)
Jul 16 08:09:01 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[7951]: (root) CMD ( [! -f /tmp/standby] && [-x /usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime] && [-d /var/lib/php5] && find /var/lib/php5/ -type f -cmin +$(/usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime) -print0 | xargs -n 200 -r -0 rm)
Jul 16 08:15:01 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[8392]: (root) CMD (command -v debian-sa1 > /dev/null && debian-sa1 1 1)
Jul 16 08:20:01 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[8644]: (root) CMD ([! -f /tmp/standby] && /usr/local/sbin/monitorSmartStatus.sh )
Jul 16 08:25:01 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[8979]: (root) CMD (command -v debian-sa1 > /dev/null && debian-sa1 1 1)
Jul 16 08:28:01 nas1 /USR/SBIN/CRON[9171]: (root) CMD (/no_ip_reboot_nas1.sh )

Hi

Dont know if you have managed to solve your problem yet. I have just bought My Cloud and after a very difficult 48 hours of navigation in the dark I managed to get it going well both in the house through the router and out side through the office ADSL and mobile phone 3G.
I was testing the system and noticed the system will not respond to the reboot command after shutting the My Cloud drive successfully through settings/ Utility/Device Maintenance . I have to unplug the device from the power line and reconnect it again to get it going again.
Any suggestions please?

Well…when you shutdown the mycloud its powered off. Obviously it won’t respond to a reboot command. That’s why you have to unplug and replug it.

The only suggestion is to un plug the power and plug it back in for the My Cloud. There is NO wake-on-land feature embedded into the NIC adapter so wake-on-lan is not an option to power on the device when it has been shut down.

On a side note the unit still draws some form of power even when off as one will see the NIC led lights flash even when the unit has been shut down via the Dashboard or via SSH commands. But so far there is no apparent way to boot the unit when it has been shutdown without removing and restoring power. It is something that has been complained about in the past.

Thanks for your kind reply.

Fareed

I would imagine it only fixes the symptom but if you need to remotely power the unit on and off apart from WD restart wouldn’t a memo switch with the app work?

they are the app based power receptacle they sale at home depot etc etc that allows remote access through an app to power a lamp on and off. i think that is the name of the brand. OF course you would have to switch apps to power on and off or you maybe it could be hacked as well as possibly include something in your script to access access the memo switch and cycle the power. I assume the WD would see this a full power cut or does the cord physically have to be pulled to fully drain power from the unit and it acknowledge the reset?

Please excuse me if i way off as I’m just a novice and brand new to this so please let me know what you think. i trying to learn as much as i can in case i run into any of these issues.

Thanks Big Jake.

If one wants to use a home automation receptacle that can be remotely turned on or off on the local network, what one should do is activate SSH and issue the shutdown command, similar to one that can be triggered via the Dashboard, prior to instructing the home automation receptacle to turn off (there by powering off the My Cloud).

1 Like