No media content found

Hello,

I am using a WDTV Play to play movies stored on a Synology DS112j station. 

My Disc Station contains 59 movies, most of them in MKV format. They play fine, through the WDTV Play device.

However, when I try to add a 60th movie, it does not work anymore. When I navigate to the folder containing my movies, I get the error message: “there is no media content in this directory”.

I first thought this might me due to the file that I had just added. So I tried with other movies, but the problem remained.

Does the WDTV Play not support more than 59 files in a directory?

Thank you in advance for your help and happy new year.

Sure.  I have directories with 100s of files and it works fine.

Chances are it’s an issue with your DS112j’s media server.

Maybe you need to wait for it to finish redoing its database before you try accessing it from the Play?

Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

How long does it take for the media server to finish redoing its database and how do I know it is finished?

It’s been more than 24 hours now.

Hi there,

I think I have it!

To answer BenJibb’s most recent question, it has taken my box several hours to index when i set up my 2 TB hard drive for the first time in a while, and I know it is done because the blue light on the front of the box stops blinking and stays solid. To answer the first question on this thread…

I had this problem happen just recently and it was driving me mad. I searched far and wide, but nobody seemed to have a fix. Turns out it is just what you suspected (in my case)! I had multiple folders (broken out into TV, Music, Movies), but just one stopped playing, which was very frustrating. In my case, I could click on the folder and it would display a bunch of files and folders, but moments later it would say “No media Content found” and take me back to the main folder.

For the broken folder, I must have had +200 files/folders in the Wd Index count (the little white numbers at the bottom right of the screen), and 300+ total files/folders nested within the folder (based on the count on my computer’s info screen). When I tried your theory, I moved some files out of the Movies directory and into the main directory, keeping care to get the total file count under 300, and the index count under 200, and voila! Everything works peachy-keen again.

So I spent the time to set up an account on here in the hopes that someone else googling this frustrating problem will get an answer. It is really poor indexing design that would prevent this, but I just know it fixed my problem, which has been broken for weeks. Happy hunting!

Jen

“No media Content found” wdplay wd play folder broken error content error media not found

1 Like