No LED light on My Book 3TB 2.5 USB 3.0 External Hard Drive

Disappointed: No LED light on My Book 3TB 2.5 USB 3.0 External Hard Drive

Pleased with my first WD My Book, 3TB external hard drive, purchased just over a year ago I bought a second unit last week for a family member. But it has since been returned after noticing that the unit did not have an LED light - nor - any kind of on-screen notification that the unit was safe to disconnect.

The second unit purchased was the 3.0 External Hard Drive: WDBBGB0030HBK-NESN. Initially, I thought the unit was defective but after close inspection I noticed that it was missing the LED light.
Also noticed the unit sounds different. Not sure if this is an improvement or that it’s made with cheap components.

Don’t get me wrong, I purchased the second unit because I was pleased with my first purchase and think of WD as a decent brand, but I like to know the reason[s] behind WD’s executive to put out such a product onto the consumer market?

Hello dirvesquad,

It’s true that new My book device WDBBGB0030HBK-NESN don’t have a LED light. The decision was taken by our engineering and development department.

Also, your feedback would be forwarded to our relevant department.

I also miss the light

That is typical of cost cutting: remove the one feature that shows drive activity! I miss that