No HDMI Passthrough of 5.1 LPCM?

Why is 5.1 LPCM not supported (via HDMI or Optical cable - I have tried both)?  For some reason all HD movies I have tried playing (2001 and Twilight Zone for example) with 5.1 LPCM audio tracks seem to only pass through 2 of the channels.  When I play these via my blu-ray player all channels are recognized by my Pioneer sc-37 receiver, but not when played through my WD Live.

I have tried blu-ray iso, m2ts and mkv containers - all with same results.  No 5.1 LPCM - only stereo.

Surely to god you are not going to claim it is a “licensing issue”  (as has been claimed for the lack of DTS-MA suppport)

Blurays aren’t 5.1 LPCM. If your BD player is sending that, its because you’ve configured your BD player to convert the native stream to PCM. Use the MEDIAINFO tool to find out actually what’s inside those files. M2TS and MKV can have PCM, but usually they don’t, but again, media info will tell you.

I am afraid I have to disagree with you - some Blu-rays DO have uncompressed audio.   From the Twilight Zone:  The Movie Blu-ray…

Audio #1
ID                               : 4352 (0x1100)
Menu ID                          : 1 (0x1)
Format                           : PCM
Format settings, Endianness      : Big
Format settings, Sign            : Signed
Muxing mode                      : Blu-ray
Codec ID                         : 128
Duration                         : 1h 41mn
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 4 608 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 6 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                        : 16 bits
Stream size                      : 3.26 GiB (20%)
Language                         : English

Hi 

I was thinking about getting a Live Hub, but this is a real show stopper.

Can anyone confirm it doesn’t support 5.1 LPCM?

Next someone will say that it doesn’t support auto refresh rate switching (between 24 to 50 or 60) depending on the media … (actually haven’t found anything that says it does or does not yet) :slight_smile:

GKDaniels wrote:

I am afraid I have to disagree with you - some Blu-rays DO have uncompressed audio.   From the Twilight Zone:  The Movie Blu-ray…

I stand corrected!    I was not until now aware they were doing this.   Sorry for the misleading info.

So I guess that’s it then - no support of 5.1 PCM and no one knows why? 

I am not sure how any company gets away with calling its device an “HD” device, or is allowed to claim it plays Blu-ray iso’s (with or without menu support) if doesn’t support HD audio.

So for those of you keeping score on the HD Audio front:

DTS - HD   -  No Support

DTS - MA -   No Support

PCM - stereo only

Dolby TrueHD - unspecified and unreliable support

Why does it feel like the 1990’s all of a sudden?