No HDMI out with two TV Live

No HDMI out with two TV Live. I think I’ve tried everything: different HDMI cables, cutting a little the end of one cable, firmware upgrade using the component out, 3 different televisions… No HDMI. I’ve made something wrong ? Please, help !

Always must ask the obvious – you *have* gone into settings and changed the video output to HDMI, haven’t you?  As well as select either NTSC or PAL, correct?

Same problem here. Got my first unit at Christmas last year, working fine until about 2 weeks ago. Suddenly no Hdmi output anymore. Watching a movie the night before didn’t change any settings and the next day no picture.

Thought is was broken phoned up WD explained the problem and they took it back and sent a new one, which arrived yesterday.

Tried it out, same Problem. No picture using HDMI??? Other outputs work fine. So using composite went to the Menu and tried switching to hdmi, unit automatically turns back to composite, and the projector i’m using isn’t recieving any hdmi signal.

The Projector and Cable seem fine since the same Cable and input work fine for sky or any other hdmi device.

At the Moment i’m trying to upgrade firmware but that doesn’t really make any sense seing as the first unit (fw 1.0) was working for 3 months.

Help, plz???

Chris

Woodinger wrote:

Same problem here. Got my first unit at Christmas last year, working fine until about 2 weeks ago. Suddenly no Hdmi output anymore. Watching a movie the night before didn’t change any settings and the next day no picture.

Thought is was broken phoned up WD explained the problem and they took it back and sent a new one, which arrived yesterday.

Tried it out, same Problem. No picture using HDMI??? Other outputs work fine. So using composite went to the Menu and tried switching to hdmi, unit automatically turns back to composite, and the projector i’m using isn’t recieving any hdmi signal.

The Projector and Cable seem fine since the same Cable and input work fine for sky or any other hdmi device.

At the Moment i’m trying to upgrade firmware but that doesn’t really make any sense seing as the first unit (fw 1.0) was working for 3 months.

Help, plz???

Chris

I sympathise with you but ask yourself, is it likely that you have two random units which exhibit the same fault. I would certainly be looking at other faulty equipment by now.

I know thats what i did and the only other equipment is the HDMI cable and the projector which both work fine on other devices as stated above so i just don’t understand how it’s not working.

The WD has an "auto source function enables the HD media player to detect and switch to a new

interface connection. For example, the media player automatically switches to HD

mode when it is connected through an HDMI cable".

Take the WD to a friend who has HD and test using his/her leads and TV.

All my TVs are HD, all HDMI cables are working normally, all WD TV Live settings seems correct (using the composite out). When I plug an HDMI cable into the TV Live using composite out, the TV Live switch to HDMI… but no signal to the TV… I think I’ve tried everything. So, what’s wrong with these two TV Live units ? One unit just worked a few minutes with HDMI, no HDMI at all with the second.

Did as you suggested and it didn’t work with my neighbours HDMI TV either. I  don’ have any idea what to do now. I didn’t buy the thing to use on composite. Help!

Are you leaving the COMPOSITE cable attached?   

And made sure your HDMI cables are 1.3 compliant, right?  (Because not all are created equal, and some that work with other devices may not work with the Live).

At the very least I’d go to Best Buy and pick up a quality 1.3 HDMI cable and test it (if it also doesn’t work you can return it for free).

No! Have disconnected the composite cable. I am using an expensive cable and have now tried three other ones from friends etc.

I don’t know if this can help you. Yesterday, after several months, my TV doesn’t recognize the HDMI signal. After try many things I realize than the problem was with the TV, I have a Sony one, so in the menu I chose Channel, and disabled the option “Control for HDMI”, after that I put it on again and finaly got the signal.

Ughhh… I’m having the same issue now.   I moved my WDTV Live up to the bedroom to watch a movie (using composite) and then brought it back down to the big plasma (HDMI) and it doesn’t work!   I can’t get it to switch to HDMI.   I’ve used the menu and just resetting with the HDMI plugged in.

When I try to change it using the menu it just goes black and then switches back.   Sometimes, when it switches back, it flashes that screen that says something like, “If you like the new settings hit OK” and gives two buttons, CANCEL and OK.   But even if I try to hit OK it just goes back.   

FYI, when I try to go to HDMI this is the sequence of clicks…

Settings> Video/Audio Settings> Output > HDMI, Resolution (Auto), Color Space (AUTO), and then nothing.

Help!

Try a different HDMI cable (even if that one worked before).

Hi, I have exactly the same issues. Am unable to get output on hdmi. Have tried three different cables and tv works fine with satellite and dvd inputs. Tried selecting hdmi input in menu but go through sequence of selecting hdmi, resolution (1080 60hz), colour auto then screen goes blank and returns to composite setting!!! This is a brand new item and i am setting it up for the first time. Also i tried upgrading firmware but no difference.

Did you try resetting the Live via the small reset button?

The case maybe, and I am guessing, that switching to composite is ‘freezing’ it in that mode.  A reset may help.

isombard wrote:

Hi, I have exactly the same issues. Am unable to get output on hdmi. Have tried three different cables and tv works fine with satellite and dvd inputs. Tried selecting hdmi input in menu but go through sequence of selecting hdmi, resolution (1080 60hz), colour auto then screen goes blank and returns to composite setting!!! This is a brand new item and i am setting it up for the first time. Also i tried upgrading firmware but no difference.

The other poster is correct in that you need to at least try a reset after your firmware upgrade.  But the symptoms you describe sound to me like your TV isn’t able to accept that resolution.  Try one of the other choices (even 720p) just to see if you can get it to do anything with HDMI.

If not, you may have a defective unit and should return it for another.

Strangest thing…now it just works.

I moved last week and so had my WDTV Live unit unplugged for a few days…when I plugged it all back in (HDMI)…it worked.  WTF?

same problem here, no HDMI, anyone has a solution short of it suddenly worked???

When you say “same problem here” you are doing yourself a disservice – it would help to know all that you’ve tried, what you see when you hook up the composite and/or component cable, what settings you have HDMI on, etc, did it ever work before, etc.