No DTS sound for mkv files?

Well, I must have given you the wrong command – it shouldn’t take long to just change the audio.

But a new receiver is probably best anyway – the new ones are quite remarkable (and cheap – Yamaha makes some extraordinary ones for not much more than the Live).

Got my Sony receiver just this past Christmas for $200, does 120 watts per channel, 7.1 surround and it decodes all the HD audio from Bluray as well, hell of price and a great receiver so far, cheapest and best value I saw at the time

I’ve run into this problem also and thought I’d add my two cents. I can tell you it isn’t my receiver as it’s playing back MKV files with not just DTS but also DTS-MA via pass-through. The two files I’ve run into it with so far have strangely been lacking a language definition on the audio track. Now, whether that has anything to do with it I don’t know. It seems very unlikely, but in my few minutes of investigation (using MediaInfo) that was the only difference I could see between a working MKV file with DTS and one that didn’t.

You can test that theory out easily enough – just load up the non-playing file in mkvmerge, select the audio track, and add a language designation and then remux (will only take a few minutes and will not re-encode so no loss of quality).

I doubt that that has anything to do with it but it would be an interesting experiment.  And, BTW, the Live doesn’t passthrough the DTS-MA track (a receiver will not decode the HD part of that track, but will rather just decode the DTS core of it).  No media player currently will do that (and it’s unlikely any ever will).

Upon further investigation it could possibly be caused by a feature in the Matroska spec called “header removal compression”. Does anyone know if the WDTV Live supports this feature?

No it does NOT support header compression.   There’s a thread about that here somewhere… 

CodeMonkey wrote:

Upon further investigation it could possibly be caused by a feature in the Matroska spec called “header removal compression”. Does anyone know if the WDTV Live supports this feature?

See here

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/If-your-having-sound-issues-aparently/td-p/32724

1 Like

Thanks for the link to the other thread :smiley: worked great