No DTS sound for mkv files?

Hi, I do not get any DTS sound when playing mkv files.

My setup:

WD TV Live connected to suround received via toslink (audio settings = digital)

My receiver is a Harman Kardon HS 350 and it has the latest firmware.

If I take one of my DVD:s and just copy it to the network store with both AC3 and DTS then the WD TV Live can play it fine with both AC3 and DTS.

But when plying mkv files with DTS then there are no audio. I have tried several mkv:s and they are all silent.

All DVD:s I’ve tested (by copying them to the network store) works fine.

What could be the problem?

Edit : when I say copy the DVD I mean copy the files from the DVD and pack them into an ISO file.

I am having the same problem, I just bought the unit two days ago.

I am playing MKV files (h.264), I can see the video but NO audio.

I have connected via HDMI to Samsung TV with HDMI in.

Music plays fine, youtube videos play, non blu-ray movies play, but for all the MKV stuff I only get video.

Please help! 

Welcome to the forums, both of you.

First of all, make sure you have “digital” selected as your audio source in the Live video/audio settings.  This HAS to be set for the Live to passthrough DTS sound.

Secondly, the Live does not decode DTS, only passes it through.  Your receiver or TV needs to be able to decode it.  So make sure it is capable of this function (most TVs will not do this, but most AV Receivers will).  If your AV or TV cannot decode it, then the Live must be set to “stereo” instead, and the file MUST have a core (AC3) that the Live can decode.

Thanks for the reply.

As I wrote, I have the audio setting “digital” since I have it connected to the receiver through the optical toslink.

DVD DTS works perfectly it is just mkv DTS that do not work.

I will try to copy a BluRay and put the files (untouched) into an iso image (same as I do with DVD:s) in case the mkv format is the problem.

Hmm…do DVD DTS and BD DTS differ? I mean, do BluRay use a newer version of the DTS format?

Edit : DTS HD is only an optional format for BluRay and the mkv files I’ve tried only say DTS.

The Live will NOT passthrough DTS-HD, so if that’s the only audio track in your MKV file it won’t play no matter what.

However, *most* DTS-HD tracks have either a DTS or AC3 core which *should* play.  But it depends on how they were mastered – some ill-mastered ones may not.  You might want to try remastering your source by putting it through Handbrake and doing a passthrough on the DTS track (assuming you have the source and not just the MKV file).  You don’t need to run blu-rays through Handbrake (although it does help) because re-encoding will take some time (another possibility is to simply run the M2TS file through mkvmerge – this will not re-encode but *will* create a “proper” MKV file for Handbrake’s use).

The MKV format is one which the Live likes best – but it CAN be badly mastered.

The bluray movies I have only include DTS HD MA and AC3 5.1 so in that case I have to find a way to convert the DTS HD into normal DTS. For now I’ll have to create mkv that only includes the AC3 track.

I think the DTS track on DVDs is at 768Kbps.

The mkv files I have that won’t play the audio are around 1500 Kbps, don’t know if the bitrate might be the problem for my receiver though.

Why do not TV Live pass the DTS HD track? Will there be an updated firmware for that later?

You can use something like mkvmerge to convert your DTS-HD to DTS without having to re-encode the video.

DTS-HD will never be supported by ANY media player – the license holders don’t want anything other than a blu-ray player to be able to decode it so they won’t allow it.

You might want to look at my post here,

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/Best-settings-for-Popcorn-MKV-DTS-audio-re-encode-and-WD-TV-Live/td-p/30236

Not sure if it will work for your situation, but it worked for me.

Regards,

capper

Thanks for your reply.

However, I do not want stereo or AC3, I want DTS to work.

Just to try I took a bluray disk and copied the movie (untouched) but selected to convert the DTS HD track to plain DTS.

The resulting DTS track got a bitrate at 1536Kbps (48Khz, 5.1 channels) but my surround receiver still refuses to play the audio.

Maybe it is my receiver that is the problem and not the bluray rip.

My receiver plays DVD DTS without problems (the one I tested with had a DTS track in 768Kbps, 48KHz, 5.1 channels).

I have sent an e-mail to Harman Kardon about what type of DTS my receiver can handle.

It’s possible your blu-ray player is doing the decoding on the DTS you are playing and not your receiver.

It’s a little confusing sometimes, but decoding can be done at either the player or receiver level.  The Live will NOT decode DTS 5.1 but does pass it through.  So if your receiver cannot decode it (and you should be able to just look this up in the manual) then that would be the issue.  Most blu ray players nowadays do indeed decode DTS (the Playstation, for example).

mkelley wrote:

It’s a little confusing sometimes, but decoding can be done at either the player or receiver level.  The Live will NOT decode DTS 5.1 but does pass it through.  So if your receiver cannot decode it (and you should be able to just look this up in the manual) then that would be the issue.  

This is incorrect. The Live and Live Plus can downmix DTS to stereo.

We are investigating reports of issues with DTS audio. Can those of you with DTS audio issues please post your TV and receiver make and model along with the current firmware rev of your WDTV?

Right, downmix – I was talking about 5.1 decoding (which the original poster was).

Or are you saying the Live does indeed decode DTS 5.1 (and thus the receiver is at fault?)

mkelley wrote:

Right, downmix – I was talking about 5.1 decoding (which the original poster was).

Or are you saying the Live does indeed decode DTS 5.1 (and thus the receiver is at fault?)

Sorry, I misunderstood. It will not decode DTS 5.1 to PCM 5.1.

mkelley, my receiver can handle DTS according to the manual.

When WD TV Live pass-through the DTS from a DVD it works fine but not when it pass-through the DTS from an MKV.

The only difference as I see it is the bitrate of each DTS the WD TV Live passes through.

One of my friends has a rediculously expensive surround system. I’ll test the WD TV Live with the same mkv files on his system. He’s on vacation now though so it have to wait.

And I do agree that there are much to be confused about in all this. Thanks for the help though.

I know for certain the Live does pass through DTS 5.1 just fine – both of my Yamaha receivers decode the signal it sends from my MKV files.

Try this – take an original source (NOT an MKV file) with DTS off a DVD or blu-ray and run it through Handbrake.  Use the High Profile preset, but change the output type to MKV.  Go to the audio options and choose DTS passthrough on the audio track (just the first DTS track).  Try playing THIS file.

If it plays fine (and I suspect it will) then the problem is your file and not your Live or receiver.  (Handbrake is the gold standard of compatibility).

mkelley,

I ran a DVD through Handbreak and the resulting MKV plays audio in DTS without problem.

I also took one file of a BluRay (to speed things up) and ran that through Handbreak as well but the resulting MKV plays without sound.

If I compare the two MKV files in mediainfo there is a difference, the bitdepth of the DTS. 16 for DVD and 24 for BD.

DVD to MKV
----------
Audio
ID                               : 2
Format                           : DTS
Format/Info                      : Digital Theater Systems
Codec ID                         : A_DTS
Duration                         : 1h 34mn
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 1 510 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 6 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                        : 16 bits
Stream size                      : 1 023 MiB (63%)
Language                         : English

BluRay to MKV
-------------
Audio
ID                               : 2
Format                           : DTS
Format/Info                      : Digital Theater Systems
Codec ID                         : A_DTS
Duration                         : 9mn 6s
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 1 510 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 6 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                        : 24 bits
Stream size                      : 98.4 MiB (66%)

It seems my receiver can’t handle 24bits audio :frowning:

Well, that’s good detective work you’ve done.

At least you’ve pinpointed the problem, then.  You can try downsampling your audio (assuming you want to do this) – ffmpeg will handle it (and should be relatively quick, taking only a few minutes even on a blu-ray MKV).  Relevant command would be something like:

ffmpeg -i input.mkv -acodec pcm_s16le -ar 48000 output.mkv

Using ffmpeg as you said will convert the audio to PCM but it also destroyed the video. It looks horrible.

Do you know if there is a tool that would convert DTS 96/24 to DTS 96/16?

I really would like to keep DTS.

ffmpeg will leave the video alone, just convert the audio.  Did you use the command I gave you?  If so, it shouldn’t be doing *anything* to the video (and you can tell because it will only take a few minutes to convert just the audio, whereas if it resamples the video it will take a while).

I don’t have a sample to test this out on, but worst comes to worst you could always mux the original video back with the converted audio using mkvmerge.

I used the command exactly as you wrote it (except for different input and output names of course).

The operation took quite some time to finish and it did lower the video quality too.

I do not think it is worth the time spent to be able to produce a working mkv file for me.

From source to mkv with DTS passthrough takes a long time to begin with.

I think it is time to buy a new receiver that can handle DTS 24bit properly…