No driver for My Passport in Windows 7

My laptop does not recognize My Passport. The drive works fine in the two other computers in which I tested it.

The drive does not show up in My Computer or Disk Management. It does show up on the device manager, which says, however, that it needs a driver. When I click on “install driver,” I get the message, “Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it. Access is denied.”

Yes, I am the computer administrator. The computer is running Windows 7 Professional with Service Pack 1 installed.

Thanks for any assistance.

Exactly same problem here. My Passport Ultra 2TB works fine with Windows 8.1 machine, but on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit does the same “Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it. Access is denied.”

I am local admin, HDD has the latest WD firmware, and laptop (Sony VAIO S) has all the available updates installed. I have tried HDD on both USB2.0 and USB 3.0 ports, same outcome.

Unfortunatelly HDD is purchased as backup HDD for this laptop…

Sometimes the USB data gets messed up. See if this will clear things up 

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-drive-or-flash-problems-how-to-cleanup-and-remove-old-usb-storage-drivers.145884/

Joe

it works perfectly on my Vaio S. First of all, a harddisk is just that - a harddisk. It doesn’t need any special driver. Windows will auto install a basic driver internally if its the first time you’ve ever connected an external harddisk.

you only need the WD SES driver for advanced functions like SMART check or locking the drive. for basic functionality, no external driver is needed. some problem in your setup.

All the other USB HDDs work fine - one of them older WD unit.

That being said… al the other USB HDDs I have tried are up to 500MB. My VAIO S is 3 or 4 years old… maybe it has problem with 2TB size? I haven’t checked if there is BIOS update for this lappy, but I do remember seeing computers/motherboards with problems detecting large drives, and BIOS updates were on occassion solving those problems. Though I haven’t seen this issue for a while.

Im having exactly the same problem on my desktop. The device is listed under devices and printers but no driver is installed and its not listed as an available drive as access is denied. When I tell it to install a driver I get the same message saying its found one but had encountered an error installing it.

mine is a 1TB passport ultra. When plugged it it has a solid light on the front and is obviously getting enough power as its listed under deviced

If I manually tell it to go to the ses driver folder i installed from WD it doesnt recognize any of the drivers there.

Hi,

Even I am getting the same error. I have a WD ultra 1 TB drive and a sony vaio with windows 7 home 64-bit.

I’m getting an error which says: “Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it”… “Access is denied”

Request if anyone can provide a solution to it.

Thanks and regards,