No Dolby Digital Sound Output from WDTV Live to Sony STR-DN1040 Receiver

Hi all, has anyone experienced this issue before?

I have my WDTV Live SMP connected via HDMI v.1.4 to my Sony STR-DN1040 AV\Receiver but I am only getting PCM sound output!!! The Sony unit is not receiving any Dolby Digital signals from my SMP at all.

I have checked the audio settings on both devices and they appear to be configured correctly. It’s not the HDMI lead as I have tried several.

Here’s a typical codec information of the movies I’m trying to play (codec info source VLC Media Player), hopefully someone more knowledgeable about these things can answer my question?

Audio Codec.jpg

Puzzled!

I’m experiencing the same thing via the optical output to my Yamaha reciever…detected as PCM signal.

If your Audio Reciever does not support “AAC” …  then you will only get 2 Channel sound (decoded to PCM by the WDTV)

(if your Audio Reciever “does” support AAC … then it get’s passthrough’ed  (the receiver decodes 5.1 AAC)

@Slinky … yours does Not support  “AAC”   http://www.sony.com.au/product/str-dn1040

Search the forum for numerous topics about “AAC Audio”   (Search Box Above)

Only solution is to convert AAC to AC3 … for 5.1 Channel Surround Sound if your receiver does not support AAC

(which a lot don’t)

Hi Paulie,

Thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately not using optical myself it is difficult to comment, that said however, have you looked at the settings mentioned in the user manual pages 173 & 174 ??? This may help you with your own predicament. There are a number of manual settings which you can choose dependent on the capabilities of your receiver, ie. AAC Capable Receiver, Dolby Digital Capable Receiver and so on, I suspect we both need to check what items are selected.

Let me know if it works out, likewise I’ll report back if I have any success.

Cheers

Slinky_McVelvet wrote:

Hi Paulie,

There are a number of manual settings which you can choose dependent on the capabilities of your receiver, ie. AAC Capable Receiver, Dolby Digital Capable Receiver and so on,

You need to check the User Manual of your Audio Receiver 1st … to see what it’s capable of (before you play around with the WDTV settings)

Hey Joey,

I knew I could count on a good friend for quality advice!

Actually my receiver is the UK edition however the specs relating to audio are still the same. I did read that it does support AAC but when I doubled checked just now it is for audio files playback only…, d’oh!!!

Initially when I posted last night I didn’t use the search term ‘AAC’, instead I searched for ‘PCM’ which didn’t reveal any help.

I guess I can live with the PCM output, I have plenty of DSP settings which make it sound pretty sweet.

Cheers again matey! :wink: