No Cloud Functionality

I would recommend sticking with the Artist/Album/Title structure for your physical library. This structure reflects the physical CDs, so you can re-rip if necessary.  Those three values are indisputable…  That’s advice based on long experience, and echoed in most guides to setting up a media library.

Genre is metadata, and a matter of opinion.  In my limited experience of downloading metadata, genre is without doubt the least reliable metadata value (and, as you say, online metadata is questionable).  Almost all of the metadata on my collection has been entered by me, typed in whilst ripping the CDs.  I have bought no downloaded music…

A DLNA media server will add a track’s metadata to its database, and will allow you to view the database using a large selection of views, based on sorted metadata.  You can slice and dice views as you like.

I think it would be a shame to abandon it now, as you seem to be getting close…  It is possible to disable the indexing and thumbnail services:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Hidden-wdmc-directories-created-by-mcserver-and-photodbmerger/td-p/682091/highlight/true/page/2

Or just give it a week to see if they shut up.  Mine have, and my system is calm, stable and responsive, and I can stream media and use as a NFS locally.

If you don’t need the streaming, or local, always-on, networked access, just get a big USB disk; it will be quicker than the MyCloud, and will need no maintenance…

You might also look at your router: many have a USB port that it will use as both NFS and media server; my Technicolor 582n does…