No Backup option in my dashboard?

Hi

I have just bought a WD Elements HDD to back up my WD Cloud NAS (for offsite back up).
I am following the WD user guide to do a USB > NAS backup, and then hopefully create a sync job.
However, when I log into my dashboard I don’t have a Backup icon. It seems t be replaced with a Safepoint icon which doesn’t provide the same functions as described in the online support document.

Has the function changed?

Thanks in advance.

Are you reading the user manual for the first gen v4.x firmware My Cloud?

Here is the direct link to the first gen v4.x My Cloud User Manual: http://products.wdc.com/library/UM/ENG/4779-705103.pdf

See Chapter 10 Managing Safepoints for more information.

Also the My Cloud Dashboard Help has information about how to use the Safepoint option.

So back ups have gone it seems. Is a Safe point update the same as a Backup Sync?

On the first gen v4.x single bay My Cloud Dashboard the “backup” feature is called Safepoint.

On the second gen v2.x single bay My Cloud Dashboard the “backup” feature is called Backup.

The v4.x My Cloud is older than the v2.x My Cloud. One cannot update their older v4.x firmware to the v2.x firmware.

WD Sync is a program installed to one’s computer that will sync files between the My Cloud and the computer so both have the same files.

Smartware is a program installed to one’s computer that will backup data from the computer to the My Cloud.

The My Cloud Dashboard Safepont / Backup feature will backup the entire My Cloud to a USB hard drive attached to the My Cloud USB port. One must have the USB hard drive formatted in a format the My Cloud supports. And obviously one will need to use a USB hard drive large enough to hold all the Safepoint/Backup data from the My Cloud.