No automatic Network connection after power on

I have recently set up a WD TV Live with no problems whatsoever, I connect to wired network and see all shares on an external hard disc but I have one very annoying problem.

After power on the WD TV Live won’t connect automatically to the network. I have to do again a power off, power on or go in Settings/Network and force a network connect.

I am using firmware 1.02.21

Anybody else having this problem?

Many thanks.

1 Like

How do you know it’s not connecting?   What errors are you getting?

What do you mean you’re “Forcing a network connect?”  how are you doing that?

I have a laptop connected to the network where I run Network Magic (by Cisco); Network Magic shows me all clients on the home network and their status. WDTV is offline (and also I cannot access from WDTV any shared folders, or go on YouTube etc).

When I do a power off and on the WDTV becomes online (same result if I go into Settings/Network/Automatic Network Detection on WDTV).

Thanks for asking

I wouldn’t trust what Net Magic is telling you.

Start a continuous ping with your PC to the IP address of the WDTV.

example:

ping -t  10.0.0.152

Then turn on your WDTV.

It should start responding to pings about 30 seconds after the UI finishes loading.

If it doesn’t, do a FACTORY RESET.

If that doesn’t change anything, then either your unit is faulty, or you have a systemic problem in your network.

How do you have this device attached?  I know you said “Wired,” but wired to what?   Is it a switch that runs the Spanning Tree Protocol?   If it is, then you’ll need to disable the STP on that port because that may interfere with the operation of DHCP.

thank you very much for all the trouble

my wdtv is linked wired to an airport express which is linked wirelessly to a dlink router; to the same router I have attached, wired, a 2TB wd “my book” network hard disc

again, everything works perfectly with only that quirk: after a power on the wdtv doesn’y get connected by  itself

you are absolutely right, I never trusted Network Magic 100%; I pinged wdtv and, at the same time, I was trying to use it (go on youtube or see my shared files: everything was telling me the same thing, no connection)

will try the reset

many thanks

So the ping was saying 

ping 10.1.2.12
Pinging 10.1.2.12 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.

Request timed out.

etc?

You ARE waiting long enough for DHCP to complete, aren’t you?

you are right 100%

waited more than 20 minutes…

It seems to me that the Airport is preventing the WDTV from completing the DHCP process.

If you go look at the Network Settings, I’d bet that it’s using an address of 169.254.x.x 

That indicates your network is preventing DHCP.

After getting it to work, go determine what IP address is being used.   Then, go change your connection to MANUAL and use the same information.

See if that works.

By the way:  I may not be understanding the documentation I’m reading, but to me, it sounds like you’re hooking up your network BACKWARDS.

The Airport Express documentation says that the ETHERNET Port is to be connected to your ROUTER, and your CLIENTS would be Wireless.

Instead, you’re connecting your Airport to your Router via WIRELESS and conencting the CLIENT Wired.   From what I’m reading, that’s not going to work right, because the Aiport has Firewall and other functions that only work in ONE DIRECTION.

From Appl’es Website:   AirPort Express can only accommodate wired clients when acting as a WDS remote base station or bridge. Therefore, if you need to support wired clients and only want to get one base station (or router, as it’s the routing capacity of AirPort Express that is relevant here), you should get the AirPort Extreme Base Station instead.

Depending on how you have it set up, the Ethernet port can function as a LAN port (defined as either simple bridging or sharing your Internet connection via network address translation) or a WAN port (connecting to your broadband Internet service provider or upstream router). However, it never acts as both simultaneously in the way that the original AirPort Base Station (Graphite) can. When the AirPort Express is using network address translation, the Ethernet port acts as a WAN port. When it is set up as a WDS remote station, it can act as a LAN port. Assuming that your Internet service provider only gives you one IP address (the most common scenario for homes), this means that AirPort Express can only accommodate wired clients when acting as a WDS remote base station or bridge. Therefore, if you need to support wired clients and only want to get one base station (or router, as it’s the routing capacity of AirPort Express that is relevant here), you should get the AirPort Extreme Base Station instead.

So, according to this, you MUST configure the Airport Express as a WDS Remote Base Station.   Is that how you’ve configured it?

TonyPh12345, thank you very much for all your trouble.

I got yesterday a new unit, alas, with the same results.

More, suspecting the AirPort Express to be the culprit as you imply, I completely eliminated it and wired the WDTV into my dlink router. Same thing, eveythings works perfectly (power off, power on, network / shares detection, etc) until I power off the WDTV for maybe an hour, and power it back on: no connection to the network (neither LAN, nor Internet). A power off/ power on cycle later, WDTV gets on the network in a matter of seconds.

You’ve already eliminated the WDTV and the Airport as the issue.

Your problem then must be with the DLINK Router.

Did you try the other test I suggested?

again, many thanks for your time and patience

I believe I run out of options, I tried everything (that you as well as others suggested) and I still have the same behavior…I most probably have to decide now if I can live with doing a cycle of power off / power on after the initial power on  or just return the device

I sincerely appreciate a lot how much time and energy you spend trying to help other people

If you tried what I suggested with regard to setting your network to MANUAL and still have an issue, then you have major problems with your network.