No audio when playing music

Hi

I have some problems with my WD TV LIVE HUB.

I have audio when playing movies but no audio when playing music from the NAS.

I have updated the firmware to the latest version and set the audio to “Digital Pass-Thru over HDMI”

If I change the audio output to stereo, Music audio works, but I no longer get DD 5.1 or DTS audio.

I’ve tried to power cycle and reset the device but it didn’t help. I have to switch audio output back and forth. Has anyone else run across this? And is there a fix? I tried to search this forum but didn’t find anyone else with the same problem on WD TV LIVE HUB.

I think this happened after a firmware update. But I am not sure. My current firmware is 3.01.19

/Harboe

If the problem started to happens after a firmware update, try doing a roll back to a previous version and then reinstall the latest version again.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/session/L3RpbWUvMTMyODEyMDQzNS9zaWQvSlpPdDNEUGs%3D

Harboe wrote:

Hi

I have some problems with my WD TV LIVE HUB.

I have audio when playing movies but no audio when playing music from the NAS.

I have updated the firmware to the latest version and set the audio to “Digital Pass-Thru over HDMI”

If I change the audio output to stereo, Music audio works, but I no longer get DD 5.1 or DTS audio.

I’ve tried to power cycle and reset the device but it didn’t help. I have to switch audio output back and forth. Has anyone else run across this? And is there a fix? I tried to search this forum but didn’t find anyone else with the same problem on WD TV LIVE HUB.

I think this happened after a firmware update. But I am not sure. My current firmware is 3.01.19

/Harboe

How is your system setup? Do you have the Hub connected to a surround receiver by HDMI and then the receiver passes the audio and video through to the TV by HDMI. If you play ripped movies you get 5.1 sound? Are you trying to play DVD audio files in 5.1 surround and there is no sound? Just trying to clarify.

Yes, my HUB is connected to a surround receiver. It passes video through to the tv and audio to the speakers. If my settings under Audio Output is set to “Digital Pass-through via HDMI only” (as it always have been) there is no audio at all when playing music from the NAS. If I change the setting to “Stereo”, it works fine. But if the setting is set to stereo I get no 5.1 audio on my ripped movies. When set to “Digital Pass-through via HDMI only” the audio on the movies works fine. The music files are Mp3 files. /Harboe

1 Like

Is the playback from the Hub’s internal drive OK?

GCG

I have not tried playing music from the internal drive. But I will test it. Then maybe if nothing else works, I will try to roll back the firmware as suggested. I will be back when I have tested mp3 playback from internal hard drive. /Harboe

Harboe wrote:
I have not tried playing music from the internal drive. But I will test it. Then maybe if nothing else works, I will try to roll back the firmware as suggested. I will be back when I have tested mp3 playback from internal hard drive. /Harboe

If audio playback worked before you updated the firmware and you haven’t changed anything else in your setup, then a rollback to your previous firmware is worth a try.

I have a hunch that might help.

When you select “Digital Pass Through via HDMI Only” are you selecting “Auto Detect”? If you are, instead try this:

Select “Manual Setup” instead of “Auto-Detect”.   Then Uncheck EVERYTHING.  See if you are now getting sound for your music.  If not, then sorry, I got nuthin more.  Put it back to Auto Detect and wait for somebody smarter to weigh in. 

But if you are getting sound, then what I think is happening is there is some confusion in the back and forth between your receiver and the WD when it is set up to autodetect.  So now, instead of “Auto-Detect”, let’s try to set it up manually.  

Go back to Digital Pass Through via HDMI Only → Manual SetUp.  Manually check the formats that you know your receiver is capable of receiving, (mine for example, is Dolby Digital Capable and DTS capable, but that’s it; not AAC, or any of the other stuff.)   When something other than what is checked (e.g. MP3, I’m just guessing) is sent, the WD will convert it to something the all receivers can handle, pcm I think.  See if now you are getting the right 5.1 for your movies and also getting the mp3’s played.

Hope this helps, let us know, ok?

1 Like

Hi johnnyLamb I tried what you suggested. I tried different variables. Nothing helped. Also when removing all check marks it does not work. I think I have to roll the firmware back for it to work. But I will wait a bit to see if WD will release a new firmware soon. Maybe it will solve the problem… Does anybody know if a new firmware is soon to be released? /Harboe

Hi guys.

Sorry about the late answer.

WD send out a new firmware and that solved the problem. :slight_smile:

Thanks for all your help.

/Harboe