No 5GHz support on the new SMP box?

I am seeing why People are getting frustrated with this device! I just bought a WD Live Plus package and am trying to move towards cutting the cable. I had some lag issues so I also bought a WD router 300+450. But guess what?!?! The WD Live Plus won’t work on the 5 GHZ side!!! You know the one that the WD manual for the router recommends that you run media device one! Oh, except the WD device I bought won’t work with that side of the router. Quality guys quality, **bleep**. This is ■■■■ poor. Now I’m 200 bucks deep into this just to find out you guys jipped us on the device my not making it 5GHZ compatible. If I have any more issues this thing and the router is getting shipped back cause this is just getting ridiculous. Really? The WD router manual recommends the 5GHZ side for media but doesn’t incorporate that into the WD Live Plus product!!!

The Plus ABSOLUTELY DOES support 5GHz.  I used the Cisco WUSB600 adapter for more than a year before I upgraded that box to the Hub, which now hosts that adapter.

Then how come my box connects completely fine to the 2.4 side of my WD750 but won’t even see the network on the 5 side. My phone sees it so I know it is broadcasting. My LivePlus box, nothing. I have it set to n only, I tried locking to 20Mhz instead of 20/40 auto. Do I need to set it on a specific channel maybe? I mean this router and live plus is pretty much right out of the box!

What adapter are you using on the Plus?

There is no adapter, like I said it is pretty much right out of the box. So now I need to buy and adapter also? I mean why wouldn’t this come built into the box if WD recommends running it on the 5GHz side?

and that adapter says speeds up to 300Mbps. So why would I buy an adapter so I can connect to the 450Mbps side of the router (the 5GHz) when I am limited to 300 by the adapter? That doesn’t make sense! Not building 5GHz into this box is a huge FAIL on WD’s part imho.

So you don’t have a live plus, you have a live streaming (gen3) with built in WiFi.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Discussions/Why-doesn-t-my-quot-new-quot-WD-TB-Live-see-my-wireless-network/td-p/305466

You are very confused.  You don’t even know what product you bought.

Ahhh, ok that clears up the confusion. I have a WD SMP box. So with that said let me revise my original statement,

I am seeing why People are getting frustrated with this device! I just bought a WD SMP package and am trying to move towards cutting the cable. I had some lag issues so I also bought a WD router 300+450. But guess what?!?! The WD SMP won’t work on the 5 GHZ side!!! You know the one that the WD manual for the router recommends that you run media device one! Oh, except the WD device I bought won’t work with that side of the router. Quality guys quality, **bleep**. This is ■■■■ poor. Now I’m 200 bucks deep into this just to find out you guys jipped us on the device my not making it 5GHZ compatible. If I have any more issues this thing and the router is getting shipped back cause this is just getting ridiculous. Really? The WD router manual recommends the 5GHZ side for media but doesn’t incorporate that into the WD Streaming MEDIA product!!!

There does that make it more correct? It still doesn’t make it any less STUPID that WD didn’t make the SMP box with 5GHz capability!!

The documentation for the WDTV says that it recommends 802.11n, which both the router and the WDTV support just fine.

And yes, “recommend” is the correct word.  It’s in no way “required.”

802.11n at 2.4Ghz is every bit as fast as 802.11n at 5 GHz, if not faster, since 2.4GHz signals travel further and thus have higher effective data rates given similar conditions.

There’s a number of options you can consider.

• You can still use the WD router in N-Only mode, and dedicate a channel and a different SSID to media devices in your house, while keeping your existing WiFi hub online for everything else (on a separate channel and SSID, of course.)

• You can also use the WD MyNet Extender, plugged into the WIRED ethernet of the SMP and connect to any 5Ghz network.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705081.pdf

• You could return the SMP and upgrade to a WDTV Hub, which CAN use external adapters, and get a dual-band WiFi adapter like the Cisco WUSB600N or others.

• Of course, you can return it and try to find a media streamer with built-in DUAL-BAND WiFi, but I know of none…  Others might help and post some recommendations.

As far as being “jipped?”  I don’t see why … a huge number of 802.11n devices out there are only 2.4 GHz, so this shouldn’t have been an assumption that it was dual-band…

I think the complaint is mainly that the WD router recommends that media devices be run on the 5GHz side of the router (which also likely means this is the 450 Mbps side of the router) then builds/sells a media box that isn’t compatible with the 5GHz side. That is what has me scratching my head. If WD recommends running media devices on the 5GHz side why not build their media devices capable to run on the 5GHz side. Don’t you think that would make sense?

I am going to try this thing out one more time and confirm that everything is set up for 802.11n only and nothing else is running on the 2.4GHz side except my SMP box. But honestly, if continues to lock up and lag and more importantly if the wife says, “Can I just unplug this thing and go back to the DirectTV” one more time, it and the WD Media Router are heading back. We love the Hulu/Netflix and everything and programming wise are ready to cut the cable but it has to be dependable. When I have commercial cable modem service at my house, I have little doubt the lag comes from the ISP end. I easily pull 3-4Mbps down while the wife is on the laptop and the kid is on the ipad. The lag is happening between the SMP and the WD media router 20-25 feet away. There just isn’t any reason that should be happening.

phishintrip007 wrote:

I think the complaint is mainly that the WD router recommends that media devices be run on the 5GHz side of the router (which also likely means this is the 450 Mbps side of the router) then builds/sells a media box that isn’t compatible with the 5GHz side.

You have it backwards.  Tthe WD media players have been sold for about a year before the routers were introduced…

I think that you making too much of a line in a manual. As has been pointed out there is no 5GHz support but there are a number of ways of getting round this if you want to. You could ultimately go with Ethernet or even power line adaptors.

While I agree that 2.4GHz is likely the same speed as the 5GHz side here is the issue. Many other devices let’s just say the iphone 4S also do not work on the 5GHz side. In fact, many many existing devices are 2.4 GHz only and/or 802.11g only. So now that WD built a NEW smp box that removed the 5GHz feature (compared to the old one), that means I have a dual band router that FORCES me to run in mixed mode to support all my other devices AND share the smp box connection with those devices!!! Both of which are undesirable and/or not recommended by WD themselves. You had 5GHz capability in the older version of this box. Therefore, this is a ■■■■ poor design choice by WD and at this point I may give up on streaming tv as an alternative to cable/satelilite because of this specific reason. If going straight ethernet cable was an option trust me I would of taken it but it wasn’t. I am going to look into exchanging this box for a Live Hub or something that will run with the 5GHz side of my router but at this point I definitely feel like WD should send me this box in exchange for my SMP box. I shouldn’t have to pay for your poor design choices.

phishintrip007 wrote: … the iphone 4S also do not work on the 5GHz side. In fact, many many existing devices are 2.4 GHz only…I shouldn’t have to pay for your poor design choices…  I definitely feel like WD should send me this box in exchange for my SMP box

Are you on those forums demanding free upgrades, as well?

Hey guess what Apple built into their newest phone the iphone5? Guess? I will give ya one guess?

WOOHOO!! Correct, they made their NEW product 5GHz capable!! Did WD do that with their new version of the product?

So I’ll tell ya what, when apple starts moving backwards in their technology from version A to version B, I will be on their forum saying the same thing!!

So you ARE demanding apple to give you a 5s?

Did WD do that with their new version of the product?

The PREVIOUS products didn’t have WiFi, dude…  I’m still struggling to see your point.

phishintrip007 wrote:

Hey guess what Apple built into their newest phone the iphone5? Guess? I will give ya one guess?

WOOHOO!! Correct, they made their NEW product 5GHz capable!! Did WD do that with their new version of the product?

So I’ll tell ya what, when apple starts moving backwards in their technology from version A to version B, I will be on their forum saying the same thing!!

So what is the Apple equivalent to the WD’s - an “Apple TV” which is N at ?GHz. lol
they have only just found that there is a res above 720p, next step 24Hz ?

Agreed, Apple equivalent as in missing two USB ports? Yeah, right.