Newbie, so bear with me- can't copy files to NAS that require Admin elevation

{Edit after original post below: OK, it is definitely permissions between the domain and the NAS, so to speak… I took one of the original files, created when the laptop was backed up, and granted full permissions to Everyone. The file then copied to the NAS just fine. The backup image file set is what I want to copy to the NAS, but I have noticed the permissions behavior issue for other single files here and there too.

What are my options? I don’t think there is a way to grant permissions on the NAS using the domain laptop account, without joining the NAS to the domain. And I can’t grant the NAS account permissions to the files on the laptop.

Thanks again- newbie here!}

Original Post:

Hi,

Newbie here.

Files that, when copied to the NAS, prompt for admin credentials from the laptop that they are copied from- don’t copy to the NAS. I assume that is because my laptop is joined to a domain, and that the local laptop admin’s user credentials do not match the non domain admin user on the NAS share. Kind of back to the User Account Control days… and is severely limiting the usability of my NAS.

I tried the \Public share on the NAS, same result.

I really need a way to figure this out- I don’t want to join the NAS to the domain, partly cause I am not a domain admin, and also cause I want to use it with all of my personal computers at home.

Thoughts and advice please? All files copy just fine in Windows Explorer, except those that prompt for admin permissions to copy them. Then the result is that the “{Mapped drive” is not accessible…" error.

Thanks!

Hi SHV,

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this.

To Contact WD for Technical Support

https://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en

The link below will allow you to call support.

I wrote this in another post but i think i fits your problem too:

Some informations i found out the last few days fiddling around with my EX2ultra:

Everthing you do (create, copy, move) via the WD webinterface is internally done as user “root” (highest rank of permissions if you want so).
Everything you do via SMB (=connect to your share with a windows machine) is treated as user “nobody” which is the lowest possible “rank” on the system.
You can create and set users in the webinterface but then again, if you copy smth via the webinterface it´s “root” which (at least) can´t be deleted with any other user.

I think the easiest way for you would be to connect via ssh to your nas and set the complete share you want to use (let´s say the public one) to “nobody:share” so you have a “real” public share where you can copy and delete from any machine from any domain.
I honestly don´t know why the public share belongs to user root by default while the public option handles every login via smb as user nobody.