Newbie questions about users, backup and remote access

Hi

New user here with a few issues I’d like some advice on if possible

Users

If I create account for myself and my wife the account created first seems to be an admin account but doesn’t seem to have a share created.

Is it best to create a separate admin account, and then one each for myself and my wife or do I create my account first and then manually creatr a share for myself?

Are there any pros and cons to consider?

Backup

I use a Mac, but don’t want to use Time Machine for backup. Can i use programmes like Carbon Copy Cloner? I presume I have to mount a share as a drive on my Mac, are there any guides on how to do that?

Remote Access

I’m fine with accessing the device from phones and tablets on my local network but can’t get access at all when I’m away from home. As far as I can see everything is configured correctly. 

I did come across one place to generate a numeric code to input in to the app on my phone or pad but can;t see any where to enter it. Is there an idiots guide on setting up remote access?

Shares and Users are completely different.  

You’ll need an admin account to manage the NAS itself.    That’s the user you create when first configuring the NAS out of the box.   You can assign shares to users independently of each other, or you can combine them.   The choice is up to you…  I don’t really think there’s any pros or cons either way.

If you “pair” your mobile device to your Cloud while on your own local network, you won’t need an access code.

You’ll only need an access code if you’re trying to pair it while the device is NOT on the local network.

You use the code by doing the “Add Manually” selection on the app.  It will then ask you for the 12 digit code.

Thanks, have users sorted out now. I was a bit puzzled as to why there was no share created for the first account created and rebooted / reset the device a few times to try different permutations.

Remote access from another newtork now also seems to be working whereas it wasn’t before. Perhaps the reboot / reset helped?

I’ve also finally figured how to access the device though the Finder on my Mac so I can use other backup software that Time Machine. I was trying to access the devices as a Registered User and then trying various combinations of my Mac account and myCloud accounts without sucess. Once I tried simply logging in as Guest it all worked fine. I guess this needs Public Access enabled on the device though. 

Anyway, after a shaky start I now seem to be up and running

Thanks again

Mike

A follow up question -

Now that I have remote access working from iPhone and iPad, when uploading photos is there anyway to stop the app from renaming the files?

I’d prefer to keep the original filename, rather than WD_0001.jpeg etc

Sorry - just found some relevant thread re the issue

Mike, do you actually know how you resolve the user problem. I have just setup my cloud and created 4 users.  Myself, which is now the admin and 3 other users.  The 3 other users all have had directories created on the server for them.  But I don’t, I only have share folders.  

Thanks

Sharon

I’m away from my device at the moment , but what I think id did was just create what directories I needed. My main use for the device was photo backup so I created a folder called Photobackup and scheduled a third party backup app to backup my main photo folder to that.

Sharon66 wrote:

Mike, do you actually know how you resolve the user problem. I have just setup my cloud and created 4 users.  Myself, which is now the admin and 3 other users.  The 3 other users all have had directories created on the server for them.  But I don’t, I only have share folders.  

Thanks

Sharon

Sharon, that’s correct – additional users are also automatically created their own share with a name that matches their user name.

The initial (“admin”) account (or whatever name you gave it) does NOT get a share created for it.

But if you want a specific share that only that account can access, you can just add it yourself.