Newbie question - pointing to folder?

Searched the forums and the web and read the manual - but can’t seem to find an answer to any [easy?] question…

I use my WD Live TV on network shares - but it is annoying when I go to videos and I have to navigate through all my computers file folders to find the video file everytime. (Same for music & pics…)  Isn’t there a way, so when I click on Videos, that the box will automatically go to that video folder - the one I pick?  I’ve tried playing with Media Libraries - that doesn’t seem to do anything. I know I’m probably missing something easy…little help?

How can I choose what folder my WD Live goes to when I pick Video/Music/Pictures rather than it just going to my PC’s home top level folder each time?

Thanks.

That’s just it. It’s going to show you ALL folder “trees” that contain video. If your issue is that you need to navigate so many levels to get to the videos, then your shares aren’t set up efficiently.

Share the folder that contains the video, or, at most, one folder higher.

Okay - I’ll look into what I’ve done sharing-wise. I thought I had just shared the video, music and picture folders (the c; drive says it isn’t shared) but maybe I’ve shared more somehow. Maybe I’ll unshare everything and be more careful to just share those folders? Guess I better google folder sharing…

Okay, it is better now…down to just four folders - but all four folders appear for Music, Videos, and Pictures. No way of pointing individual icons to individual folders? (Music to music folder…videos to video folder?) 

Not a big deal - just wondering if it is possible. (Or why it isn’t???)

Is your “Content Source” set to “My Media Library?”

Okay, I’ve tried on my own, but I don’t get it…

I have my WD Liv(e Streaming box hooked up to my home network. My PC in the basement stores all my media. (Therefore I can’t use the “media library” options, right? It is only if I attach a USB drive directly to the WD box?)  So when I navigate to VIDEOS, I see all 6 folders I’ve chosen to share (videos, photos, music, etc.) but I’d really just like to see the videos folder. It is the same for MUSIC and PHOTOS. How can I have the VIDEOS section only show one specific network shared folder or am I stuck with every option showing all the network shared folders? (Kind of defeats the purpose of having VIDEOS, PHOTOS and MUSIC options…)  

If the above doesn’t work - could I use the dashboard?

I tried the dashboard approach - but I can’t seem to figure out the way to make a new options. I’ve tried the OPTIONS button - and can re-order, remove and select multiple - but how do I add new item? Could I add my shared VIDEOS foler here? 

…and the screensaver…only can use attached USB drive photos???  And if I had an attached USB drive would the MEDIA LIBRARY option work better and maybe then I could have only my VIDEOS appear in the VIDEOS folder?

[sorry - frustration of trying this on and off and searching and reading for the past couple of weeks coming through…]

Appreciate any input. :slight_smile:

I hated that when I looked at my Network Shares, my entire ‘Users’ and all subfolders were there and I had to shuffle through until I entered my ONE folder I had my files in.

Well I was able to show just my ONE folder I had my files in. Thanks goes to a user on another WDTV forum for this.

_ This one is a simple fix. _

_ Go to your movies folder, right click on an empty space in the window, go to properties, sharing tab, Advanced sharing, check share this folder, permissions button, If group or usernames is blank, click the Add button, type “everyone” without the quotes, click OK until you get back to properties window, go to security tab, if “everyone” is not in the list of user names click edit, click Add, type “everyone”. Click OK. _

_ That should now show a folder in the root of the WD shares list and will take you directly to your movies folder when you open network shares. _

I did this for my ONE folder and when I select Network Shares on my WDTV unit, I am only shown that one flder. No more siffting through my entire users folder and it’s sub folders.

You can do this for ANY folder(s). I actually set it p for 4 different folders at one time but I changed to just one folder and set all the other folders inside it (so I had sub folders)

Hope this helps ! :slight_smile:

Maybe it is a win7 thing - but when I right-click the white space or folder itself I don’t sa sharing tab - closest I get is Security. In there I get lot of user names: SYSTEM, Basment [my media pc], Home Users, Adminstrators.  I know this folder (as well as my other few folders on that PC) is shared - I can watch stuff on them on the WD box - but they all show up in each section. Appreciate the try - but I’m no further ahead…

On the SMP, go to Setup > System > Media Library > Media Library for Network Share > Add network share to media library.

Then select Windows Share, then the source and folder you want to share.

Allow the SMP to compile the media library, then go back to the Main Menu, select Videos, press the red button on your remote and select “My Media Library”.

1 Like

adil.hoxha wrote:

Maybe it is a win7 thing - but when I right-click the white space or folder itself I don’t sa sharing tab - closest I get is Security. In there I get lot of user names: SYSTEM, Basment [my media pc], Home Users, Adminstrators.  I know this folder (as well as my other few folders on that PC) is shared - I can watch stuff on them on the WD box - but they all show up in each section. Appreciate the try - but I’m no further ahead…

I take it you are XP ?

Even still, you need to select PROPERTIES first when ‘Right-Click’ and then Sharing tab.

Win7 - but I was trying to control the downstairs computer folders from the upstairs - right-click options are different…

Folders are shared - followed your steps, but the media library doesn’t seem to compile. Everything is on and folders shared, but when I go to VIDEOS nothing is there, and when I point to the MEDIA LIBRARY it says no files there either. Tried turning on/off, compiling every hour, nothing seems to do it. Is this because the folders are on PC?  Have to be attached USB drive?  Or configure PC in different way? It shares them fine - but Media Library doesn’t seem to work…

Appreciate the continued help…